Mechanical Handyman / Maintenance Technician
What are we looking for?
- Working in the Engineering teams of the Severn Bridges Group carrying out mechanical maintenance and repair works on the iconic M48 Severn Bridge and M4 Second Severn Crossing.
What will this role involve?
- Carry out the maintenance and repair of all mechanical equipment, RAT, gantries, major and portable plant on the M48 Crossing and M4 Second Severn Crossing under the general supervision of the Charge Hand Fitter
- Carry out fitting work in accordance with the procedures specified and best practices.
- Ensure the quality standards are met at all times.
- Maintain work record details as directed
- Assist the Inspectors, Maintenance and Electrical teams in the necessary work in order to fulfil their programmes
- Organise and carry out the maintenance of mechanical equipment, RAT gantries, plant and parts of the Bridges including portable plant and machinery in accordance with the programme of work provided.
- Assist with carrying out reactive maintenance of plant and equipment as and when required and as directed
- Carry out and/or assist with the inspection and maintenance of all lifting equipment and preparation of technical reports in conjunction with the Senior Maintenance Inspector/Maintenance Inspector
- Ensure that mechanical fitting work is carried out in accordance with the Safe Working Practices and to ensure any associated equipment, plant or machinery is functioning safely.
- Assist with the safe rigging of approved access systems and assist with periodic checks in accordance with statutory requirements and as directed
- Assist the Maintenance Inspector in organising sufficient spares and stock levels of consumables, tools and equipment to fulfil the maintenance programme.
- Carry out such other duties as are required and as are commensurate within the grade of the post
What are we looking for?
- Experience of working in an engineering environment with sound knowledge of fitting works on light and heavy plant.
- Have a sound knowledge of Health and Safety practices.
Essential Functional / Technical Skills
- NVQ 2 Engineering Maintenance, IOSHH Working Safely
- Experience working in a maintenance/construction environment.
- A self-motivated individual who can work to method statements and task sheets.
- Experience of working on mechanical and hydraulic systems.
- Proven verbal and written communication skills.
- Flexibility in approach and attitude to work.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to work outdoors and at height.
We're all originals here and our individuality is an asset. We have unique backgrounds and personalities, which means we all bring different ideas to the table. But we do have one thing in common: we all take personal pride in our public service. With every drop of water and spark of electricity we supply, with every bolt we tighten and with every guiding golden nugget of advice, we better manage the services that we all use and rely on every day, ensuring every household in Britain benefits from our work.
Amey is one of the top five support services suppliers in the UK. We employ 16,000 people, have a turnover of £2.1bn and a strong forward order-book. Every household in Britain benefits from the work we do. We maintain the UK's road and rail infrastructure, keep schools safe and clean, manage the UK's defence estate, safely escort prisoners and keep prisons and courts secure. We also collect and process waste, as well as deliver utilities services. All of this is underpinned by our leading consulting capabilities which uses engineering design and data analytics to better manage the services we all use and rely on
As one of us, you can really be you because your individuality is an asset. You're surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges. People who care about your job satisfaction as well as your wellbeing. There'll be experiences as original as you are, in a career that can feel like many rolled into one. You'll be stretched but always supported. Whether it's working on the biggest bridge in the country, learning to get to grips with the latest technology, or just working with a great group of people every day, you'll find what gets you out of bed in the morning at Amey.