Business Improvement Manager - Flexible Working Available
About the job
We welcome applications from all communities and we don’t discriminate against any identity. We’re interested to hear from you, regardless of your background.
Do you have a track record of successfully leading a team and experience of business process improvement and change management?
Are you experienced in managing and delivering against budgets?
We are looking for a Business Improvement Manager to drive an improvement agenda for the UK Ship Register here at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA).
The UK Ship Register (UKSR) is part of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) and works to promote the UK flag worldwide to Quality Owners with Quality Ships. Within the UKSR the Registry of Shipping & Seamen (RSS) in Cardiff is responsible for providing front-line customer service and the issuing of Ships Registration and Seafarers Documentation. This is where the role is based.
We will look to you to pro-actively manage performance improvement and data and quality management to ensure our customers' needs and MCA Service Standards are met and exceeded. You will be accountable for delivering the strategy to enable RSS to meet business plan objectives and effectively work alongside the Customer Contact Manager to implement change through systems and processes, driving improvement focused on the customer journey.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• define, scope and manage the development of the Digital UKSR vessel registration system ensuring continuous improvements and promote customer self-service through digital technology
• define and develop the future road map for delivery of enhancements to the Digital UKSR system, providing challenge to and suggesting innovative approaches for change and improvement with focus on the customer journey
• manage and deliver the RSS budget ensuring that all finance elements supporting the delivery of the Registry on a day-to-day basis are undertaken and monthly reporting is delivered to the wider MCA business
• develop, implement and govern KPI's enabling a portfolio of reporting across all areas
• embedding business processes, analysing performance, present alternatives, help resolve issues and promote quality management
• measure RSS (Cardiff) Customer Service through monitoring Customer Satisfactions responses, promote continuous improvement strategies and set action plans for improvement through customer feedback to ensure that RSS are delivering a first-class service
• liaise with the UKSR Head of Operations around performance, risks, and customer feedback. Acting on any issues quickly with the support of, and as directed by the Head of Operations and HR
• work as part of a management team as directed to co-ordinate corporate projects, share best practice, provide support and ensure consistency across the department
• create a motivated working environment by owning and working on actions from the Staff Survey results, encouraging staff development by delegating work and implementing training initiatives and support staff well-being and inclusion by promoting and encouraging staff networks and forums
• understand the wider objectives of the MCA and the UK Maritime Services Directorate, within which UKSR sits. Liaise with other departments and engage the RSS teams in corporate and departmental communications and initiatives
For more information about the role and responsibilities please see the attached Role Profile.
There will be a requirement to travel to other locations to undertake any relevant training or attend specific meeting, overnights stays may be required.
The operating hours are:
Mon – Fri 07.30hrs – 18.00hrs
Sat – Sun 09.00hrs – 16.00hrs
This role participates in a rota which covers operating hours. Weekend working is included and weekend cover is required 1 weekend in 4.
To thrive in this role, you will have proven experience leading staff and raising service standards through your ability to make decisions to improve your customers' experience.
You will be a strong advocate for change and continuous improvement. You will have experience of business process improvements and be adaptable and flexible, adjusting to the requirements and strategic direction of the business.
You will be well versed using and analysing data, this allows you to utilise this information for constant service improvements and informed operational and management decisions.
You enjoy working with colleagues and are confident building solid working relationships at all levels.
About Operational Delivery Profession (ODP)
Operational Delivery Profession (ODP) is the largest and most diverse professional community across the Civil Service. Many of us will have an association with several professional communities or specialisms, ODP applies to all public facing roles / or a role that is primarily aligned to supporting the work of those with public facing roles. All critical to the delivery of UK public services.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Communicating and Influencing
- Making Effective Decisions
- Changing and Improving
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Find out what it's like to work at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency
Things you need to know Security
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV and personal statement. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
This vacancy is using?Success Profiles. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
You will be asked to submit an online CV and Personal Statement as part of your application. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
When considering how your experience relates to the role, please tailor your CV and Personal Statement to demonstrate your knowledge and experience of:
• track record of leading a team and providing high quality customer service
• experience of business process improvement and change management
• experience of effectively managing stakeholders and providing leadership and direction in a Customer Service environment
• experience of creating profitable business improvements and delivering against budgets
The sift is due to take place on 28th July 2021.
Interview/Assessments will be held w/c 9th August 2021.
This interview could be conducted via a video interview, details of which will be provided to you should you be selected for interview.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment will include a series of work based assessments, including a written exercise, a role play and a presentation.
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
Please see attached candidate notes for further information about our recruitment process.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section.
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website, which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email DRGComms@dft.gov.uk for assistance.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants Job contact : Name : Dan Vivian Email : firstname.lastname@example.org Recruitment team : Email : email@example.com Further information
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: firstname.lastname@example.org If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Click here (https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk/) to visit Civil Service Commission
Attachments Role profile Opens in new window(pdf, 103kB) Candidate Notes Opens in new window(pdf, 823kB) Candidate Guidance for CV and Personal Statement Opens in new window(pdf, 405kB)