Surveyor Technical Training Policy Advisor
About the job
We welcome applications from all communities and we don’t discriminate against any identity. We’re interested to hear from you, regardless of your background.
Are you someone that can manage multiple workstreams to meet delivery deadlines?
Can you build and maintain solid working relationships with internal and external stakeholders?
Do you have a keen eye for detail?
This is a unique opportunity to join a small team in the Surveyor Technical Training division, where you will enhance and build on your current skills. If this sounds like you then please apply! We can’t wait to hear from you!
If successful, you would be part of a small team responsible to the Surveyor Training Policy Lead for the management of an efficient and effective administration of surveyor technical training in accordance with Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) policy to ensure MCA surveyor technical training meets MCA and international standards.
This includes supporting the procurement, management and evaluation of training products and training schedules for individual surveyors and training needs analyses. This role supports the work of the Surveyor Training Group (STG) through Survey Technical Training Operations Branch in delivering appropriate training policies and standards set by the STG.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to
• Managing the administration of all technical training schemes and training record maintenance for Marine Office surveyors and Headquarters technical staff from recruitment to specialisation
• Assisting with surveyor technical training solutions through the appropriate scheduling of courses both external and internal; pre-course work; practical training; and other training solutions for individual surveyors to meet the appropriate standards set by STG
• Maintaining good working relationships with stakeholders within United Kingdom Maritime Services (UKMS) through STG Meetings and all its working group memberships. To represent MCA surveyor technical training within various forums such as marine surveyor seminars and UKMS National Management Group meetings, as agreed with the Head of Technical Performance.
• Taking every opportunity to promote the learning and development opportunities, including the provision of advice to encourage the surveyors and line managers to benefit from the opportunities available to them and to meet business objectives, particularly relating to the Marine Surveyor Development Scheme (MSDS)
• Aiding with the liaison with training certifying or auditing bodies to ensure training schemes and records meet appropriate requirements
For more information about the role and responsibilities please refer to the Role Profile.
To thrive in this role, you will have great attention to detail and take pride in producing work to a high standard.
You will have excellent time management skills with the ability to manage and filter workflow as well as organise and prioritise workloads to maximise productivity.
You will be confident using Microsoft packages, particularly Excel and Word.
You have excellent customer service skills and are confident at expressing yourself and can do so in a clear and appropriate manner. You can use your superb interpersonal skills to build and maintain strong working relationships with stakeholders at all levels.
You are experienced and confident working with databases.
We are following government guidelines and currently working remotely, if successful at interview you will be provided with IT equipment to carry out your duties until we can return to the office.
There may be occasions where you will be required to attend the office to carry out essential duties.
Once usual service resumes, there may be occasional UK and European travel required with this role, which may include some overnight stays, up to a 3-4 times a year. You will be provided with full notice of this.
There may also be on occasion a requirement to work outside of normal conditioned hours.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Communicating and Influencing
- Changing and Improving
- Making Effective Decisions
- Delivering at Pace
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Find out what it's like to work at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency
About Operational Delivery Profession (ODP)
Operational Delivery Profession (ODP) is the largest and most diverse professional community across the Civil Service. Many of us will have an association with several professional communities or specialisms, ODP applies to all public-facing roles / or a role that is primarily aligned to supporting the work of those with public-facing roles. All critical to the delivery of UK public services.
Things you need to know Security
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths and Experience.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
This vacancy is using success profiles. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance, and improves diversity and inclusivity.
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV and personal statement. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
How to apply
As part of the application process, you will be asked to provide a CV and Personal Statement. Please tailor your CV to suit the role. For your Personal Statement, please evidence the following:
• Your experience of providing an excellent service to customers and stakeholder engagement
• Your experience of managing multiple priorities within a tight deadline
• Your experience of managing various databases and any improvements you were involved in
The sift is due to take place on 27th July 2021.
Interviews are likely to be held w/c 9th August 2021.
This interview could be conducted via a video interview, details of which will be provided to you should you be selected for interview.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates. The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment could include:
• an interview
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
Please see attached candidate notes for further information about our recruitment process.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website, which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email DRGComms@dft.gov.uk for assistance.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants Job contact : Name : Leanne Grillandini Email : firstname.lastname@example.org Recruitment team : Email : email@example.com Further information
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: firstname.lastname@example.org If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Click here (https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk/) to visit Civil Service Commission
Attachments Role Profile Opens in new window(pdf, 234kB) Candidate Notes Opens in new window(pdf, 823kB) Candidate Guidance for CV and Personal Statement Opens in new window(pdf, 405kB)