OPI Eastern Project Manager
What is the purpose of this role?
To lead and manage the Eastern OPI (Operational Property Inspections) Route Team in the efficient and effective provision of programme delivery and compliance with the CEFA OPI technical specification. To deliver or exceed the Company's agreed financial expectation for the projects portfolio in terms of value, margin and cash.
What will this role involve?
Responsible for the management, planning and delivery of a geographic or discipline specific programme of work, based on:
- Ensure that safety is always the priority, promote safe working practices, ensure full implementation and compliance with Key Processes and Safety Responsibility Statement below
- Undertake on-site management and on-call duties as Duty Manager
- Ensure that close calls, near misses and any other incidents are investigated comprehensively and any lessons learnt are implemented promptly
- Provide cover in capacity of CRE for sign off in readiness for jobs as they happen
- Ensure that the OPI programme is delivered to time, budget and specification, updating the National OPI & Earthworks Manager with all route progress information as required
- Support & advise the National OPI & Earthworks Manager and work bank change
- Provide the National OPI & Earthworks Manager with accurate forecasts for resource capacity & needs in line with programme requirements
- Participate in regular reviews with the team in order to obtain timely information on lost time & reasons for programme slippage
- Produce baseline programme and maintain progress against it. Regularly review with National OPI & Earthworks Manager
- Optimise the use of available resources and that Network Rail receive technically compliant reports in accordance with contract deadlines. Use Cross Route Working of surveyors by agreement with other OPI Area Managers and National OPI & Earthworks Manager
- Work closely with Regional Planning Managers to ensure the efficient and effective provision of track access and safety critical resource to support the delivery of the CEFA project
- Arranging access for Building Surveyors to Network Rail buildings and property
- Ensure that all work is completed to satisfy the requirements of the Contract KPI's
- Take the lead to establish and maintain collaborative relationships with Network Rail, in order that their requirements are fully understood and implemented
- Maintain regular liaison with all key stakeholders on project progress, conducting regular reviews with Network Rail and your team
- Manage commercial performance, maximising income and margin wherever possible and ensure that lost-time and/or abortive costs (e.g. locked rooms) are identified and recovered
- Lead the procurement of suppliers and sub-contractors (with support from the commercial team) where required to support and enhance the core team delivery
- Act as Amey Account Manager for nominated Amey Suppliers as required
- Manage the supply chain, ensuring that their examinations programme is delivered to time, budget and specification
- Lead the implementation of site audits, inspections and trials as appropriate
- Improve and evolve our systems, tools and processes so that we can drive efficiency and bring benefits to Amey and to Network Rail
- Manage and authorise change, supported by the National OPI & Earthworks Manager and Route Commercial Manager
- Maintain and develop key client contacts to maximise future business opportunities
- Support the development of new business by involvement on key client management process, tendering and winning work
- Provide direction, leadership and line management to support the career development of team members to promote a highly engaged and high-performing team. Ensure PDR's are undertaken in a timely manner to include SMART business and career development objectives
- Ensure that all surveying staff are fully trained, hold the correct track safety and other appropriate safety (e.g., confined spaces, PASMA) competences for their role and ensure these are maintained or updated
What are we looking for?
Essential Skills, Qualifications and Training:
- Qualified Project Manager or Building Surveyor to HNC/HND level
- Proven track record on technical and operational related structures/buildings roles in an engineering / surveying or project management capacity.
- Knowledge and understanding of Safety, Health, Environmental and Quality Systems
- Knowledge of Atrium system
- Knowledge and understanding of the technical standards that drive the CEFA requirement
- Computer literate with knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and use of Project management software.
- Knowledge of financial and contract management control systems
- Able to implement and support a customer-centric approach
- Able to manage, develop and motivate a team
- Demonstrates ability to implement and meet targets
- Driving licence
Desirable Skills, Qualifications and Training:
- Chartered Building Surveyor (RICS), Builder (CIOB),
- or professionally qualified Project Manager (MAPM).
- Previous experience in the rail industry and knowledge of railway practice.
- Knowledge of Network Rail's assets and how they are managed
- Familiarity with software: P3, Suretrack or MS Project, Proform
- Knowledge of Atrium as applied to the asset management platform for Network Rail and Network Rail's 'OPAS' system
- Experienced coach and/or mentor
Technical Competencies :
- Knowledge of the competence requirements of NR/SP/CTM/017
What makes this role unique?
You will act as Bid Manager on tenders for tender opportunities and deputise for Senior Project Manager or Contract/Business Manager when required.
Amey is one of the top five support services suppliers in the UK. Our team of 16,000 provides consulting and infrastructure support services. We make a difference by designing, building, maintaining and investing in our country's services and infrastructure including the UK's road and rail infrastructure, keeping schools safe and clean, managing the UK's defence estate, safely escorting prisoners and keeping prisons and courts secure. We also collect and process waste, as well as deliver key utilities services. All of this is underpinned by our leading consulting capabilities which uses engineering design and data analytics to better manage the services we all use and rely on. Fundamental to living our core values is having great people in our business. That's why we believe that Amey is only as great as the people we employ. We place great value on our people and the contribution they make to our business, that's why we aim to offer a competitive benefits package to all of our employees.