What is the purpose of this role?
- To undertake the inspection of all components of major bridge crossings on the Severn Bridges Inspection and Maintenance Contract as required by the contract specification and relevant industry standards, and associated duties.
What will this role involve?
- Carry out a variety of different inspections on the Severn Bridge, Prince of Wales Bridge and the Avonmouth Bridge
- Arrange and carry out special inspections and detailed investigations of defects
- Recording all defects and reporting on all inspections
- Weld inspections and interpretation of steelwork defects.
- Concrete inspection and interpretation of concrete defects
- Supervision of works
- Raising of non-conformities
- Record keeping
- Liaison between departments
- Assist in ensuring the delivery of inspection programmes.
- Assist in optimising output of the inspection process and ensuring that inspections and reports are completed and submitted in accordance with the contract
- Assist in the monitoring and reporting on progress
- Assist in ensuring that the works within the area of operations are completed safely (in accordance with the plan and method statements), and to the correct quality (in accordance with the contract, plan and company procedures and instructions)
- Cooperate with the project team in order to undertake HSEA checks and audits as agreed
What are we looking for?
- HNC/HND in Civil Engineering minimum requirement or in a similar relevant discipline, examples include welding and steel fabrication.
- Member of professional body desirable, example EngTech, CSWIP
- Good IT skills, including Microsoft office
- Technical knowledge of major bridge works
- Knowledge of maintenance works
- Good knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety and CDM 2015
- Demonstrable experience in the inspection of major bridges, preferably large cable supported estuarial crossings. This must be accompanied by successful completion of an approved structures examination course
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- IOSH working safely or equivalent (SMSTS)
- Personal highways safety training
- The successful candidate will be expected to work towards attaining LANTRA/BICS Bridge Inspection certification as required by Highways England
What makes this role unique?
- You will be based at the Severn Bridges Offices and will assist the small team of bridge Inspectors to carry out all inspections on the Severn Bridges and Avonmouth Bridge. This will include, Principal Inspections, General Inspections, Special Inspections.
- The applicant must be comfortable at working at height and over water and be familiar with all aspect of Health and Safety related to this type of working.
- The role offers the opportunity for the successful candidate to gain experience in the role and progress and develop their career with the goal of becoming a team leader and Senior Inspector.
We're all originals here and our individuality is an asset. We have unique backgrounds and personalities, which means we all bring different ideas to the table. But we do have one thing in common: we all take personal pride in our public service. With every drop of water and spark of electricity we supply, with every bolt we tighten and with every guiding golden nugget of advice, we better manage the services that we all use and rely on every day, ensuring every household in Britain benefits from our work.
Amey is one of the top five support services suppliers in the UK. We employ 16,000 people, have a turnover of £2.1bn and a strong forward order-book. Every household in Britain benefits from the work we do. We maintain the UK's road and rail infrastructure, keep schools safe and clean, manage the UK's defence estate, safely escort prisoners and keep prisons and courts secure. We also collect and process waste, as well as deliver utilities services. All of this is underpinned by our leading consulting capabilities which uses engineering design and data analytics to better manage the services we all use and rely on
As one of us, you can really be you because your individuality is an asset. You're surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges. People who care about your job satisfaction as well as your wellbeing. There'll be experiences as original as you are, in a career that can feel like many rolled into one. You'll be stretched but always supported. Whether it's working on the biggest bridge in the country, learning to get to grips with the latest technology, or just working with a great group of people every day, you'll find what gets you out of bed in the morning at Amey.