Continuous Improvement Lead
Reporting into the Head of Quality the Continuous Improvement Lead will be responsible for developing the Alliance Continuous Improvement (CI) Strategy and work processes; for carrying out the continuous improvement activities in the Alliance and developing and implementing a CI Plan for the Alliance. At Scheme Level the CI Lead will ensure that CI plans are developed and implemented. The CI plans will cover the Alliance and its Supply Chain including Lessons Learned (LL) and work process improvement.
The CI Lead is expected to have a high profile in the Alliance and will act as the focal point for CI/LL in the Alliance, promoting a culture and aligned processes of continuous learning and improvement, constantly improving the Alliance service offerings and approaches.
Working closely with key Alliance stakeholders you will be an experienced and proactive CI Lead who drive to continually improve Alliance processes and ways of working, promoting the sharing of value-added activities and best practices, responding to both incidents but also proactively addressing identified areas of inefficiencies. This is a great opportunity to build on the mission and vision of the Alliance, and importantly equip the Alliance to realise its vision around having a standardised and sustainable approach to asset management.
We inspire each other every day to be ever more innovative and successful in delivery. We’re always looking to raise the bar and deliver with excellence. This is a unique opportunity to join a ground-breaking team that will lead in developing new ways of delivering motorway construction projects across the strategic road network.
• Develop Continuous Improvement (CI) Strategy to be implemented in the Alliance and Schemes, including its Supply Chain
• Develop CI / Lessons Learned (LL) work process and requirements
• Prepare and deliver a communication, awareness and training plan on the Alliance CI/LL work process and strategy
• Development and implementation of the Alliance CI/LL Plan/Programme (including its Supply Chain)
• Ensure that CI/LL Plans/Programmes are developed and implemented per Scheme, and follow-up on its effective implementation
• Ensure that CI/LL workshops/reviews are scheduled, conducted, and documented as per plan/programme in a timely manner
• Ensure that there is a focus on reusing and sharing the LL across the schemes by conducting specific workshop to review existing LL and preparing implementation plans with clear ownership and implementation dates for those considered relevant to the scheme
• Create/investigate software solutions for a central repository (CI/LL database) for value-added (innovation) ideas and LL where anyone on the alliance can submit an idea and/or LL
• Periodic LL gathering (input database/ensure it is being inputted) and assessment: collecting, reviewing and assessing the Lessons Learned (LL) from previous experience, schemes in execution and other sources (e.g pulse survey) on a monthly basis
• Lean Processes - Identify and assess key improvement areas. Apply lean processes through updated procedures and training to the delivery teams. Alliance led Helma Assessment process working towards the toyota way
• Provide input and support in the development and future revisions of the Alliance leading and lagging
indicators by including CI metrics, report and track them. Establish CI Targets for work process
improvement, work process reduction, standardisation
• Provide input to Quality Reporting and Metrics, as needed
• Manage CI Records
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
• Proven continuous improvement analytical experience from a similar role (incl. Experience of
process/value stream mapping)
• Excellent understanding of continuous improvement concepts including Six Sigma, Lean, value stream
• Implementation of continuous improvement programs and Lean solutions
• An ability to work within real and virtual teams, create a team working environment and participate within a
team to include the Alliance Board, Senior Leadership Team and Production Hub leads as well as
managers across the Alliance.
• Demonstrable Management experience and ability to provide direction, development and management of
budget; training needs preparation etc.
• Employ decision-making authority and recommendations that have a significant impact on Quality
• Experience of designing remediation plans to address productivity and efficiency issues, and track record
of following through to ensure closure
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team,
and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
The SMP Alliance consists of Highways England and 7 partners including;
• Fluor (production management) #SMPAcareers
• Jacobs and WSP (digital enabled design) and
• Balfour Beatty, Costain and BAM Nuttall/Morgan Sindall joint venture (onsite Assembly Partners)
Our goal is to unite diverse teams, unleash fresh thinking and transform delivery. We believe that collaboration is key to creating one team.
Collectively, the Alliance will design and construct the smart motorways programme over a 10-year period covering
the Government’s Road Investment Strategy 2 and 3. The Alliance is transforming the way we deliver schemes by
applying a programmatic approach, utilising digital rehearsals and embedding methods of construction such as offsite
manufacture. There will be a greater emphasis on digital technology, increased efficiency, and standardisation.
The Alliance will drive value throughout the project lifecycle and promote a better way of working by integrating a
diverse supplier network to form a wider enterprise to improve safety, create a better customer experience and
deliver greater efficiency.
Inclusion and Diversity is Our Future. Be Part of it
Our collaborative culture is underpinned by our agreed behaviours - decision making, accountability,
communication and engagement, innovation and improvement, constructive challenge and trust and respect.
Inclusion and diversity are core attributes to our identity. Employees feel engaged, connected, valued and respected for who they are. For us, this means creating a culture of belonging where we all thrive by embracing all perspectives. We positively encourage applications from qualified candidates from all diverse groups. We are committed to not only enhancing diversity of skills but also to addressing gender imbalance. This diversity is key to bringing different
insights, creating challenge, and encouraging innovation and transformation within the construction sector.
Building better, together