Operational Services Manager
About the job Summary
We recognise the challenges that people with (multiple) protected characteristics may experience on the job market and in their career progression. We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible, and we hope to attract applications from underrepresented groups, including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) people, people with a disability, and people with gender diverse identities.
Operational Services Manager
Salary: National - £38,654. & London - £42,466
Are you an experienced, capable leader?
Do you have strong stakeholder engagement and influencing skills?
If so, this exciting opportunity could be for you and we would very much like to hear from you.
Group Finance, part of the Corporate Delivery Group (CDG), has responsibility for ensuring that every penny spent by DfT (around £20 billion each year) is done responsibly, so that we deliver brilliant and cost-effective transport services for millions of people every day. We’re a widely skilled team who drive continuous improvement in financial management, deliver our regulatory responsibilities and lead high-profile programmes that help people at DfT deliver more efficiently and effectively. Our vision is that Finance will be at the heart of decision-making in DfT to create, protect and drive value for money, through creating the right working environment, management and delivery of Shared Services.
The Role is in the Business Intelligence Shared Services within the Group Finance Directorate.
The Directorate is seeking to recruit an Operational Services Manager for the Hastings based Transactional Services Team (TST). TST is a large operational team, providing a range of core services to the whole of DfTc, covering HR, Finance and Commercial functions.
• Position management – creating and maintaining positions for recruitment, maintaining HR hierarches on the SAP ERP system.
• Provision of HR MI, both internally and externally to Cabinet Office and Office of National Statistics.
• Updating People Finder on a fortnightly basis, collating and formatting data from multiple sources, uploading to a secure server.
• Contracts services – vendor master data management, administration of the Government Procurement Card scheme, updating SAP with new commercial contracts and contingent labour .
• Management and delivery of digital shared services in line with ITIL best practice.
You will be responsible for leading and managing these services and key to this will be meeting the diverse needs of service users and building and maintaining close working relationships with key stakeholders, within DfT family and across its agencies i.e. DVLA, DVSA and MCA.
Please note - the successful candidate must be willing to travel to London and Hastings regularly, restriction permitting.
• Regular monitoring of workloads and service levels, ensuring sufficient cover and reallocation of resources as appropriate
• Recording and monitoring performance against service level agreements Supporting the Future of Shared Services (FOSS) programme, providing Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) from the team and delivering essential data cleanse activities
• Ensuring adherence to GPC Audit recommendations.
• Acting as SME for the management assurance governance of GPC.
• Ensuring compliance with Performance Management and mandatory learning across the team
• Escalating issues to the Service Manager
• Maintaining relevant content on My DfT
• Collaborative working with Financial Transaction Manager and team.
• Leadership of a team of 10
We are seeking individuals with the following areas of experience and expertise:
• Project planning and Change Management experience.
• Ability to communicate with various grades in a clear and precise manner.
• A strong understanding of corporate systems.
• Proven track record in working to deadlines and the ability to adapt and change to moving targets.
• Skills/experience of successfully influencing internally and externally.
• Evidence of providing excellent Customer Service.
• Experience with working with Microsoft products, for example, word, excel, project, PowerPoint etc.
• Be able to develop effective working relationships through delivering clear communications, following up on actions and always being professional in outlook and approach.
• Have excellent communication skills with the ability to tailor methods to suit audience.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Previous line management experience.
• Managing teams.
• Delivering services across different functional areas.
• Stakeholder management (essential).
The role demands strong leadership and people management skills. You will have direct line management responsibilities and overall management of Position Management and Contract Services BI. Good communication, interpersonal, stakeholder and problem-solving skills are critical to the role.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Delivering at Pace
- Working Together
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Managing a Quality Service
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Find out more about what it's like working at the Department for Transport.
Things you need to know Security
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths and Experience.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
How to apply
Please tailor your CV and utilise the 1000-word count for your Statement of Suitability to evidence your experience of the following:
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills
• Previous line management and experience of managing teams
• Delivering services across different functional areas.
• Stakeholder management (essential)
• Change management
The sift is due to take place from 20th August 2021.
Interviews/assessments are likely to be held from 1st September 2021.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment will include:
• an interview with a presentation
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
The Department for Transport alongside other Government Departments recruit using Success Profiles. This means for each role we consider what you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
For further information on Success Profiles visit our Careers website.
Please see attached candidate notes for further information about our recruitment process.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website, which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email DRGComms@dft.gov.uk for assistance.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants Job contact : Name : Tony Joanes Email : Tony.Joanes@dft.gov.uk Recruitment team : Email : email@example.com Further information
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: firstname.lastname@example.org If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Visit the Civil Service Commission website at https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk