Laing O'Rourke has set ambitious targets to transform its business, leveraging lean and agile delivery methods to drive efficiency across all modes of operation. To support this initiative the Group Executive Committee has established a new business entity within the technical function, responsible for the creation and maintenance of digital products to provide transparency and accountability to the program and ultimately realize the huge potential that lies across the construction industry. The group will be led by the newly appointed Group Director of Technology and Digital and will have the full support under a matrixed structure with engineering, research and development, information technology and our global business development and operations teams.
A big part of this change is fostering a culture of trust, truth and transparency supported by inclusion, sustainability and wellbeing of our employees. The successful candidate will be an action-oriented driving force for change within the organization; they will be expected to engage with a broad set of stakeholders and subject matter experts across multiple disciplines, build strong relationships across the group and help lead the organization.
Transition Manager will be primarily responsible in supporting IT technical team to transition into new way of working, guided by Next-Gen IT operating model.
The specific responsibilities include:
- Responsible for planning and transitioning IT development team into product based cross functional, self-autonomous team adopting Next-Gen IT operating model.
- Build transition plans including Product team setup, agile delivery models, change management, learning and communication deliverables using transition framework by closely working with Digital transformation lead and CIO.
- Be responsible for coordinating transition activities, providing effective team leadership, including the operational readiness plan, taking into consideration agile delivery methodology, mindset and talent shift, capability deployment (training and engagement activities) and any activities required to integrate new operating model, processes, tools or technologies.
- Define and measure success criteria for each product segment team as result of transition into new way of working.
- Measure benefits of Agile delivery and Agile risk management (i.e.) reduce the risk of 'Big Bang' delivery approach and embrace incremental value-based agile delivery.
- Assess performance of IT technical team against agile and digital mindset adoptions
- Experience of transitioning IT projects/team into product based agile way of working with personal accountability for mindset/culture shift, delivering to time and cost for transition budgets.
- 3+ years of experience in managing IT transition delivery preferably into agile way of working.
- Ability to work with diverse teams and groups on a global basis
- Track record of customer focus, based on openness, trust, and delivering on promises
- IT background with experience across the systems development life cycle, both waterfall and agile with experience in different project phases
- Demonstrates commitment to IT methodologies, processes and standards for transition planning and support
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to develop positive working relationships in a distributed team is valued
- 3+ years of experience in project management or related technical field (deployment/implementation and infrastructure, Azure/AWS/Google cloud)
The ideal candidate will have: strong characteristics of rigor; demonstrate creative and innovative thinking; be pragmatic, empathetic, customer and service oriented; possess clear and effective communication skills; have the ability to take a stand, make and receive feedback, provide solutions; is result oriented and has the ability to make decisions and be held accountable for those decisions.
Construction Industry experience is desirable but not mandatory.
Don't match all the criteria? We are open and always happy to hear from people with transferable skill sets and a commitment to learning.
We are an international engineering and construction company delivering state-of-the-art infrastructure and buildings projects for clients in the UK, Middle East and Australia.
Certainty, reliability, quality - this is what our clients want. And at Laing O'Rourke, we have more than 150 years of experience delivering it.
Laing O'Rourke's story is one of energy, passion, ambition, people and teamwork. We harness the power of our experience, stretching back over a century and a half to deliver certainty for our clients.
Diversity & Sustainability:
We value and care about difference at Laing O'Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation.
We are a global multicultural business committed to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel accepted, respected & valued for being themselves.
We have set out far-reaching global sustainability targets including a commitment to achieve equal numbers of men and women amongst our global staff by 2033. For more information, please visit: https://www.laingorourke.com/company/sustainability/diversity/
We want to ensure our recruitment process is accessible to all. If you need the application form in an alternative format or you would like to know more about our recruitment process, please email