Data Product Owner
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Operations Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Operations Office (COO) plays a vital role managing the services that keep our business running and delivering to our customers. COO consists of 9 functions including: Satellite Operations, Network Operations, Service Assurance, Service Delivery Aviation and Customer Assurance, Service Delivery and Supply Chain, Project Management Office, Global Cyber Security and Group IT
Primary role purpose:
At Inmarsat we use data in every part of our business to innovate and lead the market. We have one of the most sophisticated mobile satellite networks and it generates huge data volumes every single day. Key to our strategy is our data platform which is designed and built by a small team of Agile Data Engineers.
Working across a number of data products this role will own the product roadmap behind our approach and will ensure quality and user adoption. The data platform is used by around 500 users, distributed globally and contains multiple terabytes of data. The platform is critical in generating insights to strategically drive a multi-billion dollar business.
We are looking for a highly capable and experienced, hands on product owner. The role will encompass both the development of roadmaps and backlogs, stakeholder engagement and educating users in the art of the possible.
We are looking for someone who is self-starting, passionate about developing data driven products, not afraid to iterate quickly and try new things, keen to constantly evolve our approach, drive forward the organisations maturity. Above all you will be passionate about all things Data and Analytics.
You will have the chance to really shape things and make a big difference to the team and make Inmarsat an even more data driven organisation.
- Maintain the product backlog for the Data Engineering team
- Take responsibility for quality of all developed products. Work with stakeholders to agree data quality tolerances and Data Engineers to develop test plans and coverage. Ensure all production data pipelines are above tolerance
- Conduct user research, build and develop working relationships with a range of stakeholders including Analysts and Data Scientists, Sales and marketing managers and staff, finance and source system product owners and developers
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of the Data and Analytics industry and align roadmap with best practice
- Oversee and prioritise a continuous improvement program, in line with the organisations wider data strategy
- Prioritise support issues and develop a set of clear prioritisation criteria
- Coordinate releases and develop communication materials
Knowledge and capabilities
- Experience in similar roles within Data and Analytics or wider software development
- Experience developing product vision and roadmaps including releasing, launch and roll-out strategies
- Significant experience managing stakeholders at various levels of the business (VP and below). Condensing a range of disparate viewpoints and ways of working into a clear, coherent strategy and roadmap, with high level of buy in
- Demonstrable problem solving capabilities and willingness to leave no stone unturned and no detail not addressed to make things right
- Ability to prioritise and execute tasks in a high pressure environment
- Commercial understanding of how to use data to add value to a business through either improved revenue or increased efficiency
- Previous experience of use cases such as financial reporting and customer analytics (including churn),
- Knowledge and understanding of Cloud Data Platforms and Data Exploitation concepts such as Data Lakes and Warehouses, ELT, Automated Reporting, Business Intelligence, Insight and Analytics and Machine Learning
- Experience with data quality best practice including automated testing and data profiling
- Ability to query a database using SQL (or similar) to understand the data, prove what is possible with that data, test quality and communicate that to technical and non-technical audiences
- Have previously worked in cross functional product teams using Agile methodologies such as Scrum or Kanban
- Experience with JIRA including measuring velocity and burndown
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do