Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Operations Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Operations Office (COO) plays a vital role managing the services that keep our business running and delivering to our customers. COO consists of 9 functions including: Satellite Operations, Network Operations, Service Assurance, Service Delivery Aviation and Customer Assurance, Service Delivery and Supply Chain, Project Management Office, Global Cyber Security and Group IT
What is in it for you:
At Inmarsat are we innovating and using technology to support business strategy and customer needs. In this challenging and exciting environment there is an incredible opportunity to grow and develop your knowledge, while also being part of a growing team that is transforming how Inmarsat operates in the digital world. This is covering people processes, tools and technologies.
We want to attract the brightest and best people possible, we are committed to developing and retaining our people.
This role can be located in St. John's, Canada or London, UK.
Primary Role Purpose:
Inmarsat requires an API Designer to work closely with business stakeholders, users, analysts, and partners to understand the challenges the business are trying to resolve, enabling you to produce solutions and designs that follow industry and technology best practices, add real business value and meet the needs of the business. You will also be an active developer and accountable for the quality assurance of third party developers.
The successful candidate will work with Inmarsat's API gateway and external interfaces to create solutions for our customers. The position requires design and development of APIs, as well as supporting the adoption of available APIs and troubleshooting existing API issues. You will be responsible for leading epics, driving low level design and delivering user stories to a high quality deployable solution. The successful candidate will be required to work in both an agile scrum team environment delivering software as part of our CI/CD pipeline while also helping to build our CI/CD pipeline capabilities.
As an API Designer, you will understand, interpret and adopt new technical information rapidly. You must have a demonstrable interest in new technologies and product innovation, and a practical understanding of the technology development lifecycle.
- Provide design and thought leadership within the team to convert business requirements and needs into coherent solution designs utilizing the integration design patterns
- Establish an efficient collaborative working relationship with business stakeholders, technical teams, delivery teams, and third parties
- Provide adoption support and troubleshooting for customer enquiries and incidents
- Work with business stakeholders to understand requirements during the conceptual stage with a view to exploit best practices and core features of the processes and technology deployed
- Contribute to concurrent projects
- Assist third party development teams to deliver high value and quality APIs
- Mentor, develop and support team members in delivering sustainable solution designs in a consistent and structured way that deliver business outcomes
- Provide advice and guidance to the operational support teams as appropriate
- Keep abreast of new industry developments and gain an understanding on how new and emerging technologies
- Partner with key internal and external stakeholders to analyze documented business and operational requirements to determine the best solution that meets the business needs
- Analyze and assess requirements to identify upstream and downstream system and process impacts to proactively communicate impacts, risks, and solutions to other technology and business owners
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive programming experience in an OO language (i.e. python, C++, C#, Java)
- Excellent understanding of the Linux operating system
- Comfortable working in an agile development environment
- Experience designing and developing REST API's
- Exposure to distributed systems, container technologies, high availability and cloud environments (particularly AWS)
- Hands-on experience building automated tests
- Strong problem solver with ability to communicate ideas clearly
- Excellent knowledge of container platforms such as Docker or Kubernetes.
- Ability to work independently, with limited supervision, while participating fully as a member of the Integration Services team
- Ability to lead and motivate others
- Flexible and dynamic personality
- Excellent spoken and written communication. Assertive and confident raising action points with senior individuals
- Experience of working in a highly augmented environment with multiple partners and suppliers
**This position can be located in either St. John's, Canada or London, UK**
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organization.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do