Lead Test Engineer
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Technology Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Technology Office (CTO) business unit sits at the core of our business and focuses on innovative technology development and engineering. The CTO maintains a centre of excellence for technology and broader infrastructure-related innovation, translating market needs into core expansion programmes to enable market development. We ensure that Inmarsat’s products and services are constantly pushing the boundaries of satellite communications. The CTO team is responsible for delivering Inmarsat development programmes, including satellites and launchers, ground infrastructure (ground stations, networks, user terminals and access technology), regulatory, market access and product and service development.
Primary role purpose:
The role of Lead Test Engineer is required to oversee the test campaigns across airlines providing guidance to the senior engineers and ensuring continuity of best practices across all test campaigns.
Quality of test will ensure that the end customer receives a product that is mature and worthy of being associated with the Inmarsat name. Each product released into the market is an advert for ABU and the standards we adhere to.
- Act as a test consultant and oversee all test engineer’s coordination of test campaigns, including scope definition and test approach
- Liaise with product managers to ensure effective verification of the service readiness elements and clarify any ambiguity related to requirements
- Management of test resources to meet project delivery milestones
- Support and chair (as required) meetings key meetings throughout the test process for all relevant airlines and test projects
- Supervision of Customer Acceptance Test demonstrations and interaction with airlines
- 1st line Quality Assurance by technical review, providing feedback and comments on documents before being distributed to Head of Test and Verification Services for sign off and release
- Manage the knowledge transfer within the team, with respect to new (upcoming) technologies
- Act as first point of delegation to the head of Test and Verification
- Identify opportunities to improve post-Entry Into Service testing and support
- Act as focal point for progress reporting to the Head of Test and Verification Services
- Mentoring of the Senior Engineers to improve test management and best practices
- Monitoring of performance across test campaigns, producing metrics to identify any development opportunities and training requirements
- Support flight testing where required
- Development of innovative test processes to meet the demands of the test programs
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Proven track record and work experience within the telecommunications industry, in a test capacity
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent customer facing skills
- Strong understanding of test automation techniques. (Selenium, Cucumber and Gherkin)
- Extensive industry experience and a qualification in a relevant engineering discipline. (Engineering/Physics/Computing/Networking/etc.)
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Project management experience
- Test Qualification (ISTQB or equivalent)
- Strong working experience with Linux based systems
- Knowledge of Scripting Language (Python, Java script)
- Previous experience working in the avionics industry
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do