Head of Commercial Finance
Things never stand still at Funky Pigeon. We’re ambitious. Always looking for the next opportunity to delight our customers. As we accelerate our growth, we need a Head of Commercial Finance to ensure we make the right financial decisions. If you have razor sharp attention to detail and a passion for data, this role could be just what you’re after!
Now a household name for personalised cards and gifts, it’s a hugely exciting time for Funky Pigeon. Turnover has rocketed and we’re building our tech and digital capability to take business to the next level. It’s a cool, fun brand and you’ll be exposed to a fast-paced creative environment surrounded by smart passionate people with a ‘one team’ approach.
Why join us?
In terms of what you want to achieve, and what you could be, you’ve only just begun We’re selling something different here. It’s more than a career. It’s the collaboration innovation and ambition you expect from the backing of a successful business like WHSmith with the energy, agility, and curiosity of a young company like Funky Pigeon. There are ‘no limits’ to what you can achieve. It’s perfect for people who are happy to use their initiative and embrace life outside their comfort zone. If you enjoy pace, can think on your feet are digitally minded and prepared to work hard then anything is possible here.
What you’ll be doing
- Impact and influence at a senior level, evaluating all commercial aspects of decision making (financial and key non-financial)
- Promote agility and independence, balancing FP’s growth plans with the wider WHSmith (Group) finance agenda and governance
- Delivery of timely and accurate reporting & insightful management information that communicates relevant trends, challenges and opportunities and promotes action
- Ensure the business understands and is actively engaged to optimise both current and future trading performance
- Develop and improve control processes to ensure 3rd party billing, stock balance and debts are accurately accounted, and any variances/risks highlighted
- Enable the business to plan and forecast effectively in the context of the market, customer, competitor and trading environment
- Develop strong relationships with the trading teams to assess performance and analysis of data including promotional activity and performance trends
- Lead in the delivery of budgets, forecasts and longer-term strategic planning
- Critical role in the delivery of effective weekly and monthly trading meetings
- Support commercial opportunities to drive further revenue with modelling and scenario testing, clearly articulating potential risk/reward
- Lead and develop a Commercial Finance Analyst to support and challenge the business and build the team over time to support the business’ plans
- Optimise and improve accounting systems and operations
- Together with business teams build business cases for new initiatives and evaluates their impact post implementation
- Finds opportunities for cost optimisation
What you’ll have
- Impactful and technically experienced finance leader
- Relevant finance qualification (ACA/ACCA/CIMA)
- A background in a digital, customer and brand centric business, and fluent in the drivers of performance
- Good understanding of e-commerce business drivers is important, ideally understands acquisition, retention, marketing ROIs, CAC, lifetime value, cohorts modelling
- Data-driven and analytical – You route decision making in evidence, are highly analytical and comfortable with numbers
- A challenger – You question the ‘why’ and ‘how’ to solve problems and achieve better outcomes and are confident reporting to and challenging senior management
- Commercial – Entrepreneurial mindset, backed up by commercial acumen and highly results focused
- Collaborative – Exemplary people skills, able to work with diverse internal and external stakeholders.
- Tenacious – Self-motivated, resilient; strong work ethic, you thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Ambitious, want to succeed and be part of a great team
What you’ll need to show
- Customer focus – Keep customer at the heart of all you do
- Drive for results – Tenacity for ambitious and competitive results delivered with pace
- Value our people – Respect and value our people in an honest, open environment
- Accountability – Personal responsibility for actions and deliver what you say you will
What you’ll get in return for your experience
Being part of Funkypigeon.com means you will work with talented, passionate individuals and cutting edge UX technology. You will have the opportunity to influence company performance through your actions. You will receive 25 days holiday (your birthday off for free), performance related bonus and discounts through the company.
If successful, candidates will be required to obtain a valid passport, undertake a criminal record check and financial check and provide 3 years of continuous educational, professional or employment references. Due to the high number of applications we receive, it is with regret that we are unable to respond to all applications and therefore will only contact short listed candidates. “WHSmith values diversity and welcomes applications from all sections of the Community”