Commercial Manager (QS)
Work with Amey on the UK's most exciting rail project!
TRU is a once-in-a-generation rail upgrade programme to deliver faster, longer, more frequent and more reliable rail services across the north of England, from Newcastle, Hull and York towards Manchester and Liverpool via Leeds. By connecting the major cities of the North with an enhanced, more reliable service, it has the potential to impact the lives of thousands of passengers and support economic growth across the whole of the north of England.
Amey, in partnership with Arup, BAM and Network Rail is upgrading the route between Manchester and Leeds, which includes civils, track, railway systems and electrification. The opportunity to use modern digital signalling and train control also means we can lay the foundation for the Digital Railway.
Working with Amey on TRU is essential for anyone serious about a career in rail. You will be pioneering new techniques, using the latest technology and helping us set new standards for collaborative working.
What is the purpose of this role?
Working as part of the Alliance wide commercial team, you will be responsible for implementing Amey Group and Alliance processes for cost capture, valuation, procurement and reporting.
The role will be based from the TRU-Project Office located in Leeds. Travel between sites and / or offices maybe be required as part of the role including to Manchester.
You will bring big-company quantity surveying experience from either Rail or Highways in order to be successful in this role.
What will this role involve?
- Implement commercial processes to ensure contractual entitlement is realised.
- Direct group commercial processes for cost capture, valuation, procurement and reporting.
- Be responsible for the creation of robust coding structure to facilitate accurate cost capture.
- Manage subcontractor accounts in line with agreed subcontract.
- Establish agreed benchmarks and KPIs for the Contract and play a leading role in the Management Team.
- Ensure maximum recovery of all contractual entitlements.
- Work within the strict deadlines required under the Contract(s) exercise full cost control of project(s) including providing and monitoring budgets and forecasts in conjunction with the
- Project Manager/Senior Commercial Manager.
- Identify the existence of all variations (changes) to the works in conjunction with other project team members. Identify the existence of any "claim" and "extension of time" situations in conjunction with other project team members.
- Submit in a timely manner Change Requests, with price and programme effects, for subsequent agreement.
- Manage all aspects of subcontract procurement and payment. Support the tender processes and strategy as required.
- Provide commercial and financial feed-back to the Estimators.
- Supply all cost/commercial information required under the Contract(s) (S-Curves, Forecasts).
- Ensure that the Client receives no commercial "surprises".
- Furnish sound commercial and contractual advice to the Project Manager and other team members.
- You will manage up to 6 direct reports and promote a team environment.
- Proactively instil commercial awareness throughout the project team.
- Undertake Performance Development Reviews for direct reports.
- Participate in regular monthly safety meetings.
What are we looking for?
- Degree qualification (RICS accredited or equivalent) is desirable, or able to demonstrate a proven track record in quantity surveying / commercial management.
- Experience in the rail sector and particular Rail Systems (track, overhead line, power and distribution and lines side civils).
- Competent in basic computer skills.
- Strong commercial and financial acumen.
- Ability to time-manage, set priorities and work to strict deadlines.
- Methodical style of working.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products especially Excel and Word.
- Strong desire to further Client relationships whilst ensuring that contractual entitlements are not compromised.
- Team player.
- Determination to develop and coach junior members of the commercial team.
- Motivation and desire to succeed.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Good communication skills.
- Good negotiation skills.
- Sound knowledge of contracts.
- Awareness of industry issues.