Senior Family Support Worker
Senior Family Support Worker
We are recruiting for an experienced Senior Family Support Worker to help support families whose children have cancer or a life-challenging illness
Position: Senior Family Support Worker
Location: Community based around assigned hospital/s with travel across Sussex and occasional travel for office meets to Hampton Court, Surrey
Salary: £24,000 – 26,000 FTE dependant on experience.
Hours: Part-time, 20 hours per week
Closing date: 10th October 2021
About the role:
It’s an exciting time to join Momentum Children’s Charity as we look to recruit new people to establish our relationship with our new hospitals and grow our service, with the role of Family Support Worker playing a crucial part. This is a brand new role for the charity, supporting families whose children have cancer or a life-challenging illness providing practical and emotional needs-led support services, with the main aim being to maximise the opportunities and support available to them.
Some of your key responsibilities will include:
- Establish Momentum support service in allocated hospitals
- Provide timely, meaningful, compassionate and non-judgmental support to all ages within allocated caseload of families
- Work closely with the families from the point of referral to provide them with needs-led support through home visits, email, phone, text and ward visits maintaining regular contact
- In some cases, you may be asked to provide bereavement support to families, both before and after a child’s death
- Management of family referrals within agreed catchment area with assessment and delivery of ongoing support
- Keep regular contact with key personnel within the paediatric team at the hospitals to encourage and facilitate prompt updates on both new and existing patients
- Plan and manage family support events relevant to your caseload alongside Family Support Coordinator
- Attend Family Support Team meetings to share family information, discuss issues and recommendations, review processes for support, and monitor outcomes/impact
We’re looking for someone with a background in Family Support, who understands the importance of timely, meaningful, empathetic and non-judgmental support for all ages. You will be an excellent communicator who enjoys working with people and who is looking for their next challenge!
Essential skills and experience include:
- Experience of direct work with children and their families
- Proven ability to work within a team, which may include a wider team, working collaboratively with relevant agencies, e.g. NHS services and third sector agencies is desirable.
- Level 3 in Safeguarding
- Ability to work professionally, independently, innovatively and diligently
- Responsive and empathetic to others needs and concerns with an ability to work in a people oriented, emotional environment
- Professional experience in bereavement would be advantageous
- Ability to work in partnership with families
- Confident using IT including Microsoft Office and databases
- Valid UK Driver’s license with access to a car is essential for this role
This role is subject to enhanced DBS clearance
This role is incredibly rewarding, if you feel you have the necessary skills then apply today with a CV and a covering letter explaining how you feel you meet the requirements.
Other roles you may have experience of could include: Family Support, Children and Young People Support, Children's Support Worker, Social Worker, Family Recovery Worker, Child and Family Support Worker, Safeguarding and family support, Personal & Family Support, Family Practitioner, Children’s Support Services, etc.