Senior Creative Content Manager
About the job Summary
We recognise the challenges that people with (multiple) protected characteristics may experience on the job market and in their career progression. We are fully committed to being an inclusive employer and ensuring equal opportunities. We are keen to make our workforce as diverse as possible, and we hope to attract applications from underrepresented groups, including Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) people, people with a disability, and people with gender diverse identities.
Are you a strategic thinker with a passion for pushing creative boundaries on a range of different platforms?
Do you have the ability to influence others and the confidence to engage colleagues and stakeholders at all levels?
If so, this exciting opportunity to join the Department for Transport (DfT) as our Senior Creative Content Manager is for you, and we’d love to hear from you.
The Department for Transport (DfT) has a wide and varied agenda ranging from large infrastructure projects such as HS2 through to shaping future transport innovations such as drones and driverless cars.
We’re looking for a Senior Creative Content Manager to join our fast-paced digital content team to innovate and drive our creative content forward. Helping us to tell engaging stories in powerful ways on new and existing social media channels.
This is a dynamic role, which sits within the wider Digital, Content and Publishing Team that reports into the Head of Content and Social Media.
This is a permanent opportunity and office locations include either London, Leeds or Birmingham. Beyond the current Covid-19 pandemic, you will be expected to work in one of our offices at least two days per week.
The job holder will be expected to demonstrate the appropriate level of experience that would enable them to line manage an IO Officer, while effectively project managing the delivery of high-quality content, and looking for new ways to engage our existing and new audiences.
Working closely with special advisors, communications, and policy colleagues, you will plan, script, and support the development of innovative, video, and photo content for social media channels.
You will build effective relationships with stakeholders and influencers to optimise digital engagement and boost content performance.
You will have experience of using insight to assess the effectiveness of content, drawing conclusions to improve digital communication and the user experience.
Including but not limited to:
• Project manage the delivery of innovative, high-quality visual content for different distribution channels
• Work closely with the media team, planning content to support announcements, and identifying positive news stories for senior officials to share on their channels
• Accompany senior officials on visits, and proactively recommend filming opportunities, which you and your team will develop at pace, into high quality content for channels
• Draw on knowledge of emerging trends in digital and social media and apply this knowledge to content ideas, being alert to emerging issues which might impact or benefit this work
• Develop effective digital plans to support communication campaigns, working closely with other departments and digital leads as needed
• Build effective relationships with colleagues, stakeholders, and influencers to optimise digital engagement
• Use insight gained to assess the effectiveness of content used on social/digital media channels and to recognise patterns and trends, drawing key conclusions to help improve the impact of our digital communication
• Champion digital engagement and social media, sharing expertise to build capability across communication teams and the wider Department
As part of the role you will be required to accompany senior officials on visits therefore there will be a travel element involved.
You will have experience of developing engaging, high-production videos and other content for social media channels.
You will be a good communicator with a passion for developing succinct and engaging editorial copy for social media.
Along with experience of using insight to assess the effectiveness of content, drawing conclusions to improve digital communication and the user experience.
For further detail on this please see attached the Role Profile for further information.
We are different people, one team
Find out more about what it's like working at the Department for Transport.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
- Seeing the Big Picture
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Insight: Use analytical tools and techniques to identify key online influencers and links between partner groups to better target digital communication
- Ideas: Develop innovative digital communication strategies. Draw on knowledge of emerging trends in digital services and social media and apply this knowledge when developing content and channels
- Implementation: Manage online events including podcast, live chats, broadcasts, blogs and Tweets. Edit, revise, and optimise copy and content according to latest search engine optimisation best practice, for use/re-use in digital channels
- Impact: Assess the effectiveness of digital communication. Use the results of user feedback, tests/pilots, and effectiveness indicators to improve digital communication and the user experience
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Find out more about what it's like working at the Department for Transport.
Things you need to know Security
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
How to Apply
As part of your application, you will be required to complete a CV and a Personal Statement. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
Please provide a CV outlining your career history, and the key responsibilities you had in each of your roles.
For your Personal Statement, please use your 1000 words to demonstrate your experience of the following:
• Experience of project managing and developing high-quality, innovative content to tight deadlines using Adobe suite, in particular Premiere Pro, After Effects and Illustrator
• Ability to work at pace, respond quickly, flexibly, and imaginatively to events and prioritise under pressure juggling both immediate and long-term projects based on conflicting demands
• Experience and understanding of monitoring, analysing and evaluating digital content success and using insight to inform future content development and distribution
Sift and Interview Dates
The sift is due to take place w/c 27th September 2021
Interviews are due to take place w/c 11th October 2021
This interview could be conducted via a video interview, details of which will be provided to you should you be selected for interview.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment could include:
• an interview
As part of your interview you will be assessed against Government Communication Professional Competency Framework (SIO - Civil Service Level 3, Digital) as part of GCS Career Framework.
As part of your video interview we would like for you to bring along any examples of previous work you may feel is relevant. Please note that this element will not be scored or marked against as part of the assessment.
More detail around this can be found in the Role Profile.
The Department for Transport alongside other Government Departments recruit using Success Profiles. This means for each role we consider what you will need to demonstrate in order to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity.
For further information on Success Profiles visit our Careers website.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section.
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website, which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email DRGComms@dft.gov.uk for assistance.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants Job contact : Name : Sophia Moor Email : Sophia.Moor@dft.gov.uk Recruitment team : Email : firstname.lastname@example.org Further information
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: email@example.com If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission: Visit the Civil Service Commission website at https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk