Customer Service Advisor
About the job
We welcome applications from all communities and we don’t discriminate against any identity. We’re interested to hear from you, regardless of your background.
Are you an organised individual who enjoys working in a past paced environment?
Are you an excellent communicator who prides themselves on delivering an accurate, first-class customer service?
If you are, we are looking for a dedicated Customer Service Advisor to join our team at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency, and we’d love to hear from you.
The UK Ship Register (UKSR) works to promote the UK flag worldwide ensuring safer lives, safer ships, cleaner seas. The Registry of Shipping and Seamen within UKSR provide front line Customer Service and are responsible for coordinating and issuing ship registration and related documentation required to operate under the UK flag.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Customer Service Advisor where you will provide a first class, professional Customer Service to existing and potential UK Ship Register customers.
Working as part of the team, you will deal with all customer enquiries at the first point of contact, maintain accurate records and process customer applications to ensure all certification and documentation is accurate and received in a timely manner.
Your duties will include:
· Answering customer queries via telephone and providing accurate information in a polite and professional manner.
· Proactively managing all customer queries in line with Regulations, delivering first-call resolution where possible.
· Respond to customers via written and electronic correspondence by ensuring all UK Ship Register documentation is correct and complies with relevant Regulations.
· Ensure all customer and vessel details are accurately recorded on the Digital UKSR system and other MCA databases used.
· Provide a registration process which is delivered within agreed service levels, dealing with all customer enquiries and issues as they arise.
· Achieve a level of personal performance which meets required volume targets and contributes to the success of the team.
· Process customer applications and all documentation to ensure all certification and issued documentation is accurate and received by the customer in a timely manner.
· Process all customer payments ensuring all action taken is GDPR compliant.
For more information about the role please see the attached Role Profile.
The Registry of Shipping and Seaman is open 7 days a week including some Bank Holidays.
This role will participate in a rota across a number of shifts and there is a requirement to work a minimum of 1 in 5 weekends (Saturday and Sunday).
Opening hours are:
7.30am - 6.00pm Monday – Friday
9.00am - 4.00pm Saturday & Sunday
The Registry of Shipping and Seaman will be closed on the following days: New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Easter Sunday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day.
We are looking for someone who can bring proven experience of working in a fast-paced, service-led, customer-facing Contact Centre environment and a passion for providing exceptional service to your customers. You have excellent written and verbal communication skills, including a professional telephone manner, and the ability to understand your customer’s needs and to provide workable solutions to problems.
You have an eye for detail and produce work quickly, which is accurate and to a high standard and are confident using online systems to record information accurately, including taking notes of customer calls. You work well as part of a team as well as under your own initiative, taking responsibility for your own performance to ensure you deliver against agreed KPIs and objectives.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Managing a Quality Service
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
- Developing Self and Others
- Communicating and Influencing
- Changing and Improving
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.
Find out what it's like to work at the Maritime and Coastguard Agency
£1,000 shift working allowance (pro-rated from March 2021)
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles, and will assess your Behaviours and Experience.
We are closely monitoring the situation regarding the coronavirus, and will be following central Government advice as it is issued. There is therefore a risk that recruitment to this post may be subject to change at short notice. In addition, where appropriate, you may be invited to attend a video interview.
Please continue to follow the application process as normal and ensure that you check your emails regularly as all updates from us will be sent to you this way.
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV and personal statement. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
When considering how your experience relates to the role, please tailor your application to demonstrate:
• Experience of working in a fast paced, serviced-led, customer-facing Contact Centre environment
• Effective communication skills with experience of dealing with customers over the phone
• Experience of delivering to set KPIs and objectives
• Experience of keeping accurate records and working with online systems
The sift is due to take place on or around Wednesday 22nd September 2021.
Interviews/assessments will likely be held week commencing Monday 4th October 2021.
We will try to meet the dates set out in the advert. There may be occasions when these dates will change. You will be provided with sufficient notice of the confirmed dates.
The selection process will be designed specifically for the role. As a result, your assessment could include:
• an interview
• one or more exercises including a written exercise, a presentation and a role play exercise
You’re encouraged to become familiar with the role profile, as you may be assessed against any of the criteria recorded within.
Please see attached candidate notes for further information about our recruitment process.
If you are experiencing accessibility problems with any attachments on this advert, please contact the email address in the 'Contact point for applicants' section.
To learn more about applying for a role within the Department for Transport, visit the Application Process page of our Careers website.
Before submitting your application, we encourage you to visit our Things You Need to Know page for further information about applying for a role within the Department for Transport and the Civil Service.
Throughout this job advert there are links to the DfT Careers website, which provides you further information to support your application. Should you be unable to access the information on our website, please email DRGComms@dft.gov.uk for assistance.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is broadly open to the following groups:
- UK nationals
- nationals of Commonwealth countries who have the right to work in the UK
- nationals of the Republic of Ireland
- nationals from the EU, EEA or Switzerland with settled or pre-settled status or who apply for either status by the deadline of the European Union Settlement Scheme (EUSS)
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals working in the Civil Service
- relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals who have built up the right to work in the Civil Service
- certain family members of the relevant EU, EEA, Swiss or Turkish nationals
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants Job contact : Name : Athena Alevizopoulos Email : Athena.Alevizopoulos@mcga.gov.uk Recruitment team : Email : Dftrecruitment.firstname.lastname@example.org Further information
If you feel your application has not been treated in accordance with the Recruitment Principles and you wish to make a complaint, in the first instance, you should contact Government Recruitment Services via email: email@example.com If you are not satisfied with the response you receive from the Department, you can contact the Civil Service Commission. Visit the Civil Service Commission website at https://civilservicecommission.independent.gov.uk/
Attachments Role profile Opens in new window(pdf, 432kB) Candidate Notes Opens in new window(pdf, 823kB) Candidate Guidance for CV and Personal Statement Opens in new window(pdf, 405kB)