Senior Analytics Engineer
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Operations Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Operations Office (COO) plays a vital role managing the services that keep our business running and delivering to our customers. COO consists of 9 functions including: Satellite Operations, Network Operations, Service Assurance, Service Delivery Aviation and Customer Assurance, Service Delivery and Supply Chain, Project Management Office, Global Cyber Security and Group IT
Primary role purpose:
At Inmarsat we use data in every part of our business to innovate and lead the market. We have one of the most sophisticated mobile satellite networks and it generates huge data volumes every single day. Key to our strategy is our data platform which is designed and built in Google Cloud by a small team of Agile Data and Analytics Engineers. Working on multiple data products primarily focused around transformation of data into usable datasets, this role will shape and drive the strategy behind our approach and will ensure engineering rigour in all of our products.
You will; be self-organising; passionate about developing data driven products; iterate quickly and not be afraid to try new things. You want to evolve the tech stack and really drive forward the organisations maturity. You will have a deep interest in data, cloud, automation and open source. You will write robust, easily maintainable code with well-planned data lineage. You will have the chance to really shape things and make a big difference to the team, the organisation and how Inmarsat uses data.
- Lead and develop reusable data patterns and implement data pipelines following those patterns
- Work with other software engineers, data analysts, data scientists, and decision-makers, such as product owners, to build solutions and generate insights
- Share your technical knowledge, guide others, mentor more junior Data Engineers
- Define the strategy for ingestion, transformation and presentation of data
- Ensure the quality of transformed data is in line with stakeholder expectations and that any underlying source issues are reported.
- Development of the data platform including support and monitoring
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of current and emerging technologies that will support the team in delivering quality solutions
- Work in cross-functional agile teams with an end-to-end responsibility for product development
- Contribute to improved ways of working and standards for the entire Data Engineering team
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience ingesting and transforming large volumes of data
- Experience applying business logic to data in line with business requirements
- Ability to autonomously solve business problems using data, ensuring that solutions are aligned with team and wider data strategy
- Knowledge and experience of a range of reconciliation and data quality testing techniques – both manual and automated.
- Knowledge and experience of using Google Cloud – in particular BigQuery, Composer, DataProc, and DataFlow
- Experience using Data Build Tool (DBT) or equivalent
- Expert level SQL and Python. Experience in some of the following technologies would also be an advantage - Spark, Spark SQL, Kafka, Unix shell scripting, Java
- Experience with Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery using Google Cloud Builder
- Experience with source code control tools such as Git
- Experience mapping data lineage using tools such as Solidatus
- Agile Experience using Scrum or Kanban
- Knowledge of Tableau and Alteryx or similar tools
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do