Temp to Perm - Museum Cafe Supervisor 2 days per week - Part time
Are you a Supervisor who would like to manage a Cafe on Fridays and Saturdays, from 9 to 4:30pm?
Although catering experience is not ess it is certainly an advantage. The most important thing is that you can manage a cafe, the staff rota's, the freshness of the food and coffee, and to provide a welcoming smile to all of the guests and customers that enjoy this very special museum.
This job will suit you if...
• You like helping people and get a kick out of providing great customer service, leading by example. You are patient, level-headed and cool under pressure.
• You love food and drink - especially great coffee and cakes - and you understand how the right blend of quality product and tight cost control works both for customers and the business.
• You're a team player, and you understand when to offer support to colleagues but also when to ask for help.
• You pay attention to the detail. As far as you are concerned, anything worth doing is worth doing right, every single time. You stay focused and nothing falls through the cracks on your watch.
• You think on your feet. You like learning new things and you can learn quickly. When things change, you know how to change yourself and adapt.
You will receive any training that is required for you to take on this supervisory position, including Food Hygiene, First Aid and Fire Evacuation at the Museum, risk assessments, baking and food preparation and customer service
As Caf?? Supervisor, you can expect that a typical day will include the following:
• Opening and unalarming the Caf?? and setting up the Caf?? for the day's trading; making sure the Caf?? is secure again at the end of the day.
Health and Safety procedures:
• Proactively checking issues related to health and safety and emergency preparedness at the start of each day (for example, Caf?? cleanliness and tidiness inside and out, trip hazards etc.).
• Keeping a written daily log of any issues/problems and ensuring all paperwork is up to date to share with the Retail & Visitor Experience Officer.
Setting standards and responding to feedback:
• Ensuring that Caf?? presentation is of high quality and maintained throughout the day, including close-down and cleaning.
• Ensuring food displays are consistently merchandised by the Caf?? team to a high-quality standard.
• Ensure a rotation of products to minimise wastage.
• Taking responsibility within the Caf?? team to resolve any customer issues quickly and constructively, drawing on the support of the Duty Officer as needed.
Sales and cash handling:
• Using Bleep EPOS software to add and maintain information for the products for sale in the Caf?? as necessary, noting refunds and any issues in the daily Caf?? log.
• Cashing up, reporting any issues to the Duty Officer.
• Checking appropriate food stock and equipment levels in the Caf?? and reporting any issues to the Retail & Visitor Experience Officer.
Supervising the team:
• Working collaboratively with the Caf?? team (your fellow Supervisor or Assistants), taking responsibility for high quality food preparation and presentation.
• Making sure all the Caf?? team are briefed for the day ahead, including reminders of customer care, health and safety.
• Periodically checking standards of customer service at the counter, offering constructive guidance to Caf?? Assistants as needed.
• Making sure we have just the right amount of people to keep service standards high and costs low. If necessary, sending team members home on a slow day.
Food ordering and preparation:
• Working closely with the Retail & Visitor Experience Officer on planning menus and finding suppliers to ensure a locally-sourced menu.
• Building relationships with local suppliers.
• Baking and producing fresh food daily: scones, tray bakes, fresh sandwiches.
• Presenting a consistent, quality product for customers.
• Being aware of stock levels and wastage and managing sales margins with support from the Retail & Visitor Experience Officer.
• Understanding and maintaining health and safety best practice, ready to respond to health inspection visits by maintaining clear records and high standards of hygiene.
• Keeping food stored and labelled accurately, discarding when necessary.
• Managing recipe sheets and ensuring all Caf?? staff have current information on menu allergens, updating records as menu items change.