Principal Construction Design Engineer
Principal Construction Design Engineer
Dartford, other locations considered
An excellent opportunity has arisen to join our specialist construction engineering design team. As a principal level candidate, you will work on a variety of projects such as Thames Tideway, East West Rail, Whiteleys and Beckton water treatment to name a few. You will work closely with project teams to design structural and temporary works solutions that will enable the delivery of the project. The Principal Designer will be responsible for up to 6 Engineers providing technical guidance and on the job training.
About the Role
- The Principal Construction Engineer will be the primary point of contact within the Temporary Works Design Office for projects, as allocated by the General Manager.
- Provide safe, practical and economic designs of temporary works in accordance with project procedures, the British and European codes of practice and UK construction Health and safety legislation
- Prepare conceptual and detailed designs including calculations, design risk assessments and sketches / drawings / models as appropriate
- Work on a range of temporary works designs, which could include: formwork, falsework, access, temporary concrete and steel structures, reinforcement stability, structures for heavy lifting, groundworks, etc.
- Work with specialist the CAD team
- Work with construction teams to understand the practicalities of the erection, use and dismantle of temporary works
- Coordinate design work with a wide range of suppliers and designers
- Preferably Chartered Engineer Status (CEng, MICE, IStructE)
- Desired education BEng / MEng in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Hands on experience with BS 5975
- Experience in the design of formwork, falsework and access scaffolding
- Experience in the design of bespoke shutters (steel or timber)
- Experience with codes of practice for concrete and steel work design (EN & BS codes)
- Literacy in Microsoft office software
- Excellent communications skills
- Detailed knowledge of UK Health and Safety legislation
- Ability to manage consultants, sub-consultants, suppliers and sub-contractors
The Principal Construction Design Engineer will have a strong technical background. Fluency at designing with all mainstream structural materials (i.e. steelwork, reinforced concrete, timber, etc.) using Eurocodes is expected. Geotechnical design capability is also highly beneficial. Familiarity with a range of proprietary falsework, formwork and shoring equipment is also an essential requirement of the role.
Don't match all the criteria? We are open and always happy to hear from people with transferable skill sets and a commitment to learning.
We are an international engineering and construction company delivering state-of-the-art infrastructure and buildings projects for clients in the UK, Middle East and Australia.
Certainty, reliability, quality - this is what our clients want. And at Laing O'Rourke, we have more than 150 years of experience delivering it.
Laing O'Rourke's story is one of energy, passion, ambition, people and teamwork. We harness the power of our experience, stretching back over a century and a half to deliver certainty for our clients.
Diversity & Sustainability:
We value and care about difference at Laing O'Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation.
We are a global multicultural business committed to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel accepted, respected & valued for being themselves.
We have set out far-reaching global sustainability targets including a commitment to achieve equal numbers of men and women amongst our global staff by 2033. For more information, please visit: https://www.laingorourke.com/company/sustainability/diversity/
We want to ensure our recruitment process is accessible to all. If you need the application form in an alternative format or you would like to know more about our recruitment process, please email