Principal Data Scientist
About the Role
As Principal Data Scientist, your key role will be to establish, define and implement data science solutions in order to deliver business value by making the optimal decisions to ensure efficient and cost-effective performance. You will build data science tools, providing business experts throughout Gas Transmission (GT) with the technology and expertise to unlock and exploit the information we hold to support the effective running of the business.
- Lead the establishment and definition of the data science requirements that GT requires in order to drive delivery against our business objectives.
- Liaise with engineering and operational teams, IT and external providers to deliver ad-hoc analysis and production-level data science solutions.
- Lead engagement with business experts to understand how data science can solve their problems.
- Ensure the business is aware of and appropriately leveraging external advances and best practices in data science.
- Lead the deployment of analytical tools into the Systems, Analytics and Data Team and throughout the business to support new ways of working.
- Take a lead role in the proactive identification of data and information requirements identified as part of the requirements gathering for GT's analytical capabilities.
We are looking for someone who has:
- Significant experience using data science to deliver tangible benefits for organisations.
- Experience in delivering both proof of concepts and production data science models.
- Fluency in Python and common data science packages (e.g. pandas, scikit-learn).
- Experience with good software development practices and standards tools (e.g. Git, Azure DevOps).
- Experience quality-assuring, testing and troubleshooting code and models.
- Experience in coaching and developing technical skills in others.
What You'll Get
- A competitive salary between £44,400 - £56,000 dependent on capability.
- Flexible and part-time working can be accommodated.
- 25 days holiday (increasing to 26 days after 2 years employment) plus 8 statutory days - option available to buy extra holiday days.
- Annual performance bonus of up to 6% of your salary.
- A generous pension scheme where we double match your contribution up to 6% (maximum Company contribution of 12%) of your salary each month i.e. for every £1 you contribute, we'll put another £2 (you can contribute more un-matched if you want to).
- Paid expenses for any business travel and accommodation excluding travel to your base location/office.
- You will also have access to several other flexible benefits such as a share incentive plan, salary sacrifice car and technology schemes.
- Access to employee support, care and assistance helplines.
- Access to Employer Matched charity giving.
Opportunity Type: Permanent
Location: Hybrid working will be supported, however you will be expected to travel to Warwick as and when required.
Closing Date: Friday 22nd October 2021
We encourage you to submit your application as early as possible and not to wait until the published closing date. National Grid’s recruitment periods can and may vary. We reserve the right to remove this advert or close it to further applications at any point during the recruitment process.
The application process includes a CV review and if minimum requirements are met, an invite for an initial 20-minute telephone conversation with the hiring manager, followed by a formal interview if shortlisted following telephone conversation.