Macro Space Planner
We have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Macro Space Planner to join our talented, well established Space and Format team based in our Travel Head Office in London. Reporting into the Space Planning Controller, the main purpose of the role is to optimise space in both new and existing stores, across all Formats in the UK and worldwide.
Life moves quickly at WHSmith travel. We never stand still. We’re constantly innovating, looking for our next commercial opportunity. Our laser focus on great customer service and product proposition means we’ve been around for a while, over 225 years and continue to thrive. Already a leading travel retailer in the UK, we have plans to expand our operations here and internationally. With a keen eye on profit, a forensic focus on space and a spotlight on new & unique formats - there’s lots happening!
Why join us?
In terms of what you want to achieve, and what you could be, you’ve only just begun. There are ‘no limits’ to what you can accomplish. It’s perfect for people who are happy to use their initiative, be ready to make big decisions and are adept at finding commercial solutions. It’s fast paced here so you’ll need to think on your feet and be prepared to work hard. But the autonomy, variety and development you get is incredible - anything is possible.
What you’ll be doing
- Own the model responsible for allocating space to our stores and use this to make recommendations for all current / new and redeveloped stores;
- Maintain and develop a suite of tools to support space decisions across all categories and store Drive the bi-annual space change programme to improve our sales and profit – this involves working with buying, merchandising and operations teams to new initiatives add value and are rolled out appropriately;
- Work with buying, store planning and retail to ensure that space recommendations are followed in stores;
- Constantly evaluate the performance of stores and categories to ensure we spot opportunities to improve our utilisation of space;
- Ensure the wider business is engaged with space – acting as an advocate for our model and projects.
How you will succeed
- Improve trading intensity in our existing stores
- Deliver projects which result in sales and profit uplifts for the business
- Become recognised as the expert for all space recommendations
What we’re looking for
- Proven experience in retail space planning is essential;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills including advanced Excel skills;
- Strong commercial acumen with the ability to relate actions and decisions to commercial performance;
- Ability to summarise data and present findings with clear, action linked recommendations;
- Understanding of how to balance space recommendations with other factors (e.g. operational factors, visual aspects, customer needs), making decisions that balance stakeholder requirements;
- Ability and confidence to influence a variety of people from a diverse set of teams, up to board level;
- Excellent planning and organisational skills with an ability to balance a large range of priorities – project management experience would also be beneficial;
- Experience working in a fast paced environment, dealing with ambiguity and changing priorities;
- Experience managing databases and using Teradata is benefical;
- Educated to degree level within a relevant subject or substantial experience within this field.
What you’ll need to show
- Customer focus – Keep customer at the heart of all you do
- Drive for results – Tenacity for ambitious and competitive results delivered with pace
- Value our people – Respect and value our people in an honest, open environment
- Accountability – Personal responsibility for actions and deliver what you say you will