Principal Solutions Architect, Enterprise IoT
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Inmarsat Enterprise is a leading global provider of satellite-enabled managed connectivity services for land-based organisations. We are enabling the Industrial Internet of Things (IoT) and helping transform business outcomes across a diverse set of sectors, including agriculture, aid and NGO, media, mining, oil and gas, renewable energy, transport and utilities.
Primary role purpose:
The Principal Solutions Architect is a key member of the Innovation and Technology Partnership (ITP) team responsible for steering the development of new solutions and enablers for Inmarsat’s customers, to drive revenue through adoption of Inmarsat’s core connectivity products. In the role you will be a both a primary interface to technology partners and a bridge to Inmarsat’s internal technology stakeholders to ensure feasibility of solutions built upon Inmarsat’s core products and roadmap. You will help derive and articulate customer/market requirements and map those to prioritised technical requirements for effective delivery to customers. Working closely with members of the sales and pre-sales teams, often under periods of heavy workloads and customer deadlines, you are accountable for the technical aspects of practical experimentation and rapid prototyping of solutions. You are also expected to contribute to the generation of new ideas and new applications for the Inmarsat portfolio.
As a technical authority and customer evangelist, the Principal Solutions Architect balances deep technical expertise with a market context to drive thought leadership in the IoT and satellite communications markets, plus directly to end user customers. The role will involve representing Inmarsat Enterprise capability at industry events and with senior representatives in partners, creating a credible and influential set of long term relationships.
- Research new technologies and partners to identify gaps and opportunities, and recommend assessment, adoption and/or engagement aligned with EBU strategy and priorities
- Lead technical engagements with technology partners, primarily within the IoT Solution Application Partner (ISAP) framework, to ensure compatibility and efficiency of solutions using Inmarsat connectivity
- Develop and articulate/document best practices and technical assessment criteria for ISAP solutions considering aspects such as security, deployment, user experience and scalability
- Collaborate with ISAP partners to capture and prioritise business/market requirements and translate into technical requirements
- Define a minimum acceptable quality level of design documentation (including templates, etc.) as a key deliverable for all solutions
- Support project management and/or coordinate necessary Inmarsat internal resources to support delivery of partner proof of concept / proof of value activities
- Support EBU pre-sales in the development of test plans and criteria for solution acceptance and/or partner certification
- Contribute to collateral generation for ISAP solutions, ensuring key end user benefits and competitive differentiators are articulated effectively for each solution
- Proactively prototype solution components as necessary, identifying and briefly justification any required capex
- Deliver Statement of Work for outsourced development projects, in support of EBU commercial team and contract operations
- Coordinate with EBU project manager to ensure successful execution of outsourced development projects
- Generate novel ideas and innovative uses for Inmarsat’s connectivity portfolio, contributing to business case development and product roadmap
- Establish peer relationships with partners and end user customers that add credibility and additional insight
- Drive thought leadership through mechanisms such as blogs, industry group participation and networking
- Coach and mentor junior Solution Architect(s) and Solution Executive(s) through 360 feedback and continuous improvement
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Holds a degree in IT and/or Engineering.
- Strong experience in a Solutions Architect or substantially similar role within a communications service provider.
- Hands-on experience with Inmarsat core connectivity services, particularly L-band and IoT (e.g. BGAN-M2M, IDP)
- Extensive knowledge of the IT and OT landscape inclusive of networking, security, enterprise and cloud infrastructure, IoT/M2M devices and protocols, data analytics platforms and industrial automation.
- Hands-on experience deploying IoT/M2M solutions in a remote industrial environment.
- Familiarity with structured software development methodologies and processes including Agile, revision control and development operations.
- Able to prototype technical concepts including limited software and/or hardware development and integration.
- Strong organisational/project/stakeholder management skills.
- Good interpersonal and persuasion skills in both written and verbal communication.
- Strong written and spoken business English
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Experience in embedded device programming e.g. single board computers, Linux, C++, Java, Python, Golang, Node Red, etc.
- Experience in cloud system integration e.g. AWS, Azure, IoT platforms and data analytics
- Positive public (professional social networking) profile that adds credibility to Inmarsat EBU
- Good knowledge of MSS, FSS and cellular industries
- Good knowledge of wireless IoT technologies e.g. LoRa, LoRaWAN, NB-IoT, BLE, Zigbee, etc.
- Existing partner relationships in EBU focus Sectors e.g. agriculture, mining, oil and gas, utilities, etc.
- Experience in implementing ISO processes and standards into an organisation
- Design and running of IT Services on a global basis for Fortune 500 / FTSE 100 profile of organisation.
- Multiple language skills are an asset in particular Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Mandarin
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do