Principal Software Engineer
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Technology Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Technology Office (CTO) business unit sits at the core of our business and focuses on innovative technology development and engineering. The CTO maintains a centre of excellence for technology and broader infrastructure-related innovation, translating market needs into core expansion programmes to enable market development. We ensure that Inmarsat’s products and services are constantly pushing the boundaries of satellite communications. The CTO team is responsible for delivering Inmarsat development programmes, including satellites and launchers, ground infrastructure (ground stations, networks, user terminals and access technology), regulatory, market access and product and service development.
Primary role purpose:
You will work in a global cross functional development team, and interact directly with your peers within CTO Platform Engineering to create the best possible service in a collaborative environment. The successful candidate is required to work on key Inmarsat Edge and shore-side solutions whilst also having a good understanding of the end to end networking and ideally software defined networking. The role demands a cross-functional engineer who is comfortable with being able to develop software but also integrate with existing systems. The position will require development of data centre based application both on-premises and in AWS Cloud as well as developing Docker container based applications which will be deployed to and edge device over a satellite link.
You will be responsible for leading epics, driving low level design and delivering user stories to a high quality deployable solution which meets the project’s definition of done. You will have the ability to prove concepts and take them to production level solution. You will be required to work in both an agile scrum team environment delivering software as part of our CI/CD pipeline whilst also helping to extend our CI/CD pipeline capabilities.
The successful candidate will understand, interpret and adopt new technical information rapidly. They must have a demonstrable interest in new technologies and product innovation, and a practical understanding of the technology development lifecycle and be able to participate at the appropriate point in a matrix development process. A background in IT, Internet or telecoms is desirable.
It is expected of the successful candidate that they are someone who leads by example and is comfortable being a go to person to answer technical questions and coach other members of the team. They should be able to take on complex software development problems and present their solutions to the rest of the team. They should be comfortable with training others in small groups or as part of lunch and learns.
- Working as a key member of a growing development team with a mandate to develop new and innovative products into the satellite communications industry
- Proving concepts
- Delivering Low Level Design of complex solutions
- Participate as key member of technical design authority
- Coach other members of the team
- Solving complex problems using cutting edge technologies
- Ability to diagnose critical cross platform defects
- Identify opportunities for solution reuse
- Design and development of services running both at the edge and in the cloud
- Taking ownership of end to end deliverables across the full software development lifecycle
- Development of automated tests and tools for CI/CD
- Ensuring tests are passing on slow and fast track dashboards
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive programming experience in an OO language (i.e. python)
- Excellent understanding of the Linux operating system
- Comfortable working in an agile development environment
- Experience designing and developing REST API's
- Exposure to distributed systems, container technologies, high availability and cloud environments (particularly AWS)
- Hands on experience building automated tests
- Good understanding of networking and SDN
- SD-WAN knowledge desirable
- Strong problem solver with ability to communicate ideas clearly
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do