Can you enable young people growing up in challenging and dynamic environments feel inspired, supported, happy and safe?
We're looking for Junior Playworkers with excellent communication skills able to deliver a range of exciting games and activities to young people that will challenge, stimulate and provide play opportunities, in line with the Youth Zone's themes around sports, arts, personal development, crime prevention and health and wellbeing and environmental activities, leadership, volunteering and citizenship, employment and enterprise.
The purpose of the role is to contribute to the effective delivery on Tuesday and Thursday Junior Club. You will be responsible for developing, planning, evaluating and organising play activities for children and young people between the ages of 8 and 11. You will be leading on activities that are fun, safe and inclusive, focusing on activities and games that develop social and emotional skills. You will report to the Senior Club Manager and Zone Leader.
We are an iconic state-of-art Youth Zone based in the heart of Harpurhey. We first opened to young people in 2012 as an independent charity and attract young people from across the borough with our fantastic facilities. The Youth Zone provides positive activities and practical support, especially for those who are disadvantaged. The aim is to enable young people to make constructive use of their leisure time and to raise their aspirations.
Being located in Harpurhey enables MYZ to reach those young people who need "Somewhere to go, something to do and someone to talk to". There are currently around 2,300 members with around 1,000 visits by young people each week to the Youth Zone
All of our sessions are inclusive to maintain a mainstream provision. The centre is open five days a week, on bank holidays and during school holidays. MYZ also develops and delivers other projects to improve the lives of disadvantaged and vulnerable young people in the locality, with an excellent reputation in a number of areas including safeguarding, working with young people who are "at risk" of criminal exploitation, mentoring and employment skills. We have invested strongly in partnership working, becoming a community asset responding to the needs of young people and the local community of North Manchester.
MYZ is a 'world class' two-story building which has a dedicated climbing wall, gym / fitness suite, boxing studio, dance and performing arts studio and music spaces. Also included are a caf?? which is open to the community during the day, games and social areas and an outdoor 3G pitch.
If you're passionate about providing an exceptional service to young people, we'd love to hear from you!
STUFF WE'LL TRUST YOU WITH - YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
- To work directly with children and young people aged 8-11 to facilitate safe and structured activities within the Youth Zone.
- To establish positive and engaging relationships with young people from a range of backgrounds in an appropriate and professional manner.
- Effectively communicate at all levels by speaking, listening and in writing.
- To work effectively alongside colleagues including staff, volunteers and Young Leaders.
- To attend training and development events where required.
- To enhance the offer and add value to sessions through planning, evaluating and monitoring.
- To be able to use your own initiative to flexibly meet the needs of children and young people.
- To promote cultural cohesion and inclusion, and proactively challenge any prejudice and discrimination.
- To understand and adhere to MYZ policies and procedures at all times with particular emphasis on equal opportunities, health and safety and safeguarding.
- To promote and safeguard the welfare of children and young people at all times, managing any safeguarding issues should they arise.
- To be an active member of the team and operate in line with the Charity's expectations, values and principles.
YOUR SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES - STUFF YOU TELL PEOPLE ABOUT
So, what does it take to succeed in this role? We're looking for someone who genuinely wants to make a positive difference in the lives of our young people. The right candidate will be highly organised with a strong Youth Work principles.
- A Level 1 or 2 in youth work, play work or childcare.
- Working with young people aged 8-11 from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Working with children and young people who are disaffected, underachieving and/or have social/emotional barriers to participation, and who have additional needs.
- Working effectively as part of a team.
- Implementation of policy and procedure.
KNOWLEDGE & UNDERSTANDING
- Demonstration of how to engage with young people effectively and understanding the issues affecting their lives.
- Ability to plan, deliver and evaluate high quality programmes of activity within an equal opportunities' framework.
- Ability to communicate effectively with young people, parents/carers, and colleagues by talking, listening, and writing factual and accurate reports.
- Knowledge of health and safety, diversity awareness and safeguarding best practice and how these relate to relate to children and young people within the Youth Zone.
- Ability to coach, encourage, motivate, and support children and young people to reach their full potential.
- Ability to effectively manage children and young people exhibiting challenging or anti-social behaviour.
THE OTHER STUFF
- Organised and efficient
- Excellent attention to detail
- Calm under pressure
- Commitment to personal and professional development - we love ambition!
BENEFITS & GOOD STUFF
For gym bunnies or fitness fanatics
25 days paid holiday (pro rata) plus flexible statutory holidays
5% employer contribution after your first 6 months, but you pay 5% too???
THE BORING (but important!) STUFF
In accordance with our Recruitment and Selection Policy, we are not able to accept applications from current or former members, Young Leaders or regular service users for safeguarding reasons, for a period of at least one year since they last attended Manchester Youth Zone (nee The Factory Youth Zone) in this capacity.
All internal applicants will be guaranteed an interview, though will be assessed to the same criteria as external applicants and so are encouraged to submit a full and thorough application.
In accordance with our safeguarding procedures, this position requires a DBS check.
The Manchester Youth Zone is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
REHABILITATION OF OFFENDERS ACT 1974 (Exceptions) ORDER 1975 (2013 and 2020)
Owing to the nature of the work, the youth work profession is exempt from the previous provisions of the above Act. Therefore applicants are not entitled to withhold information about convictions which for other purposes are 'spent' under the provisions of the Act. Manchester Youth Zone will check for convictions.
Should you be invited for interview you will be asked to complete a self-disclosure form.
- Do you have any unspent conditional cautions or convictions under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974?
- Do you have any adult cautions (simple or conditional) or spent convictions that are not protected as defined by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020?
- Are you on List 99, disqualified from working with children, or subject to sanctions?
If yes, please give details in strictest confidence.
Deadline 7th November 2021
Interviews Interviews will be arranged with individuals as suitable applications are received.
Apply Please send CV and cover letter, no longer than 2 pages, addressing your skills and attributes. You will also need to disclose if you have any unspent conditional cautions or convictions in line with the questions above.
Please send applications to
More info Please contact Pamela Mason