Here at Amey we have an opportunity to join the Sheffield team in the Transport Infrastructure division as Commercial Assistant. You will play a key role in supporting the commercial team and contribute to effective data and cost capture. You will be seeking to pursue a career within the commercial world and this will provide a solid foundation.
This role offers development of your career into the commercial world of Quantity Surveying. You will highly numerical with excellent Excel skills and any experience of CAD would be advantageous.
This is a full time, permanent role and will be based at the office in Olive Grove, Sheffield, for at least 3 days out of 5 each week.
There are 16 years to run on the Sheffield PFI offering a clear career path within the commercial team. The role is an excellent grounding for anyone setting out on their career and involves exposure to all functions within the business from maintenance requirements to capital interventions. The role has a considerable amount of interaction with operations and will offer a fulfilling future career.
- Assist in evaluating asset changes (accruals & de-accruals) and calculating the whole life costs to the PFI project.
- Engage in dialogue with The Authority on accrual / de-accrual workload.
- Participate & input into the promotion of innovative thinking to increase efficiencies and reduce cost base (best value)
- Assist the Quantity Surveyor and Assistant Quantity Surveyor in managing subcontract applications.
- Measure works and variations as appropriate
- Assist in exercises to manage project forecasting activities
- Pro-actively Identify and highlight any noted areas of commercial concern and / or improvements to operational performance to senior commercial management
- Assist in negotiations over contractual agreements entitlement and advise on adherence to terms and conditions to establish preferred positions
What are we looking for?
- Be studying or willing to study for a commercial degree qualification (RICS accredited or equivalent) or RICS Associate status
- Competent in computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office suite of products, especially Excel and Word
- Basic commercial and financial acumen
- Health and Safety awareness
- Ability to work with technical operations staff
- Ability to time-manage, set priorities and work to strict deadlines
- Methodical style of working
- Strong desire to further
- Client relationships whilst ensuring that contractual entitlements are not compromised
- Team player
- Willingness to learn
- Motivation and desire to succeed
- Ability to work under pressure
- Developing communication skills
- Developing negotiation skills
- Environmental awareness tool box talk
- IOSH working safely
We're all originals here and our individuality is an asset. We have unique backgrounds and personalities, which means we all bring different ideas to the table. But we do have one thing in common: we all take personal pride in our public service. With every drop of water and spark of electricity we supply, with every bolt we tighten and with every guiding golden nugget of advice, we better manage the services that we all use and rely on every day, ensuring every household in Britain benefits from our work.
Amey is one of the top five support services suppliers in the UK. We employ 16,000 people, have a turnover of £2.1bn and a strong forward order-book. Every household in Britain benefits from the work we do. We maintain the UK's road and rail infrastructure, keep schools safe and clean, manage the UK's defence estate, safely escort prisoners and keep prisons and courts secure. We also collect and process waste, as well as deliver utilities services. All of this is underpinned by our leading consulting capabilities which uses engineering design and data analytics to better manage the services we all use and rely on.
As one of us, you can really be you because your individuality is an asset. You're surrounded by a team of people who want you to grow and embrace new challenges. People who care about your job satisfaction as well as your wellbeing. There'll be experiences as original as you are, in a career that can feel like many rolled into one. You'll be stretched but always supported. Whether it's working on the biggest bridge in the country, learning to get to grips with the latest technology, or just working with a great group of people every day, you'll find what gets you out of bed in the morning at Amey.