Lead Android Engineer
Group Transformation division, and we're creating new opportunities and products to improve customer experiences for years to come. With our business evolving to more modern and flexible ways of working, we want driven, dynamic, and innovative individuals who join us on this journey.
Want to know more about our team?
Onboarding and Customer Comms will give you the opportunity to engage with a lively dynamic team who are at the forefront of leading the way for customers & colleagues in transforming & digitising the Group's Retail Bank across mobile, branch, telephony, and internet banking.
An excellent opportunity has arisen within our team for a Lead Android Engineer. You'll work in a highly collaborative way to drive efforts to create, build, support and improve our frontend client software working closely with the product and engineering teams with lots of exciting new challenges. You'll be a core contributor to ensure good quality and engineering practices are followed in accordance with engineering transformation strategy.
The core purpose and key capabilities of the role
- Development and delivery of Android mobile apps, understanding of App architectures
- Build efficient and reusable front-end systems and abstractions
- Identify general improvements and implement QE and engineering best practices
- Collaborate with multi-functional teams to define, design, and ship new features
- Unit-test code for robustness, usability, and general reliability
- Experience in releasing mobile apps on the Google Play Store
- Understanding of Native Hybrid Apps & communication between web and app
- Source Control Management (Bitbucket, Mercurial), experience on 3rd Party SDKs integration and proficient understanding of Git tool
- Familiarity with RESTful APIs to connect applications to back-end services
- Ability to see the big picture and translate business priorities into technical solutions
- Mentoring and developing more junior engineers, providing clear and constructive feedback, and building opportunities for learning and growth
- Familiar with Agile principles and methodologies and usage of related tools - JIRA and Confluence and hands-on experience of continuous delivery
What we'd like to see from you to be considered for the role:
- Excellent Native Mobile Development in Android (Kotlin)
- Commanding grasp of HTML, CSS, and related web technologies
- You're excited by the changing Android landscape, and care deeply about learning new technologies and patterns
- Support the team by providing advice, coaching, and educational opportunities
We'd also welcome someone with the following desirable, but not essential, skills:
- Experience on Front-End test automation
- Familiarity with server-side REST APIs and JSON
- Creating and managing frameworks in a modular codebase
- Knowledge of unit testing using Quick/Nimble
- Experience of reviewing other developers' code
- Experience with scripting languages, e.g., ruby or experience in PromiseKit, Jenkins, Fastlane
Additionally, experience working with the Strategy and UX/UI Design teams as well as customer organizations to architect, design, and implement solutions; and contributing to the technical leadership team's work of driving the technology and future of the platform.
What we're looking for in someone to join our team:
A 'great teammate' who can build relationship and work productively with others across a variety of domains and product areas; someone who is passionate about technology and its application to real-world problems and an awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations. We'd also love someone that can demonstrate knowledge of common design patterns such as MVVM, IoC, etc. An effective communication skill with the ability to communicate at all levels; experience using/maintaining/creating functional test automation frameworks to test microservices, and you'll bring the right mind-set to the role.
We understand in such a diverse and disparate world no one person can be a specialist in all aspects of all front-end tooling. If you have the right technical background, a willingness to be part of a team dedicated to redefining the landscape and are willing to develop yourself then we're keen to hear from you.
In return, we offer an excellent competitive package including: £81, 120 - £101, 400 base salary, plus annual discretionary bonus, 15% employer pension contribution, 4% flexible cash pot (take as cash), private medical insurance, 30 days holiday plus bank holidays and access to various staff discounts!
Together we make it possible.
We're happy to consider options other than 9-to-5 office-based work. To us "Agile working" is more than working flexibly - it's about entrusting colleagues to think creatively about how, when and where they work, to deliver their very best. We're open to providing flexible working though our hybrid working patterns. Please feel free to apply, and we'll consider it and discuss further.
Join us and be part of an inclusive, values-led culture that celebrates diversity, equal opportunity and provides opportunities for flexible working.
We'll ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process and to perform essential job functions.
About Lloyds Banking Group
As the UK's largest retail and commercial bank, we have a footprint that touches nearly every community and household in the UK. That gives us a big responsibility to support the UK economy and have a clear strategy to put customers first and achieve our vision of being the best bank for our customers.
Are you interested in joining our team? Apply today!