Environmental, Health and Safety Advisor
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief People Office
Inmarsat’s Chief People Office (CPO) comprises a HR Business Partnering function who deliver people services with the support of the Centres of Excellence – Reward, Resourcing, HR Services & Systems, Organisational Effectiveness & Engagement & Communication and Real Estate & Facilities. Our purpose is twofold; to drive business performance and enabling our people to be brilliant.
Primary role purpose:
With the emphasis on Environmental Management the Environmental, Health and Safety Advisor will report directly to the Head of Global Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) in supporting and to help develop, implement, monitor, measure and manage EHS strategy and continuous improvement across all Business Units of Inmarsat. This individual will work collaboratively across departments, regions and business units to assist in the company’s strategy and plans to achieve world class EHS performance.
- Act as the subject matter expert for the development of and technical content with the main emphasis on environmental management but with support for Health and Safety programs
- Organisational input for EHS strategy culture and identifying key challenges/blockers
- Responsible for liaison with and support to the business units, in enabling leadership to build trust for EHS
- Responsible for developing and reviewing the effectiveness of the EHS management system and providing recommendation changes to reinforce culture and continuous improvement
- Support and maintain any external certifications (ISO 14001, 45001 etc)
- Responsible for the development of business as usual processes to support sustainable EHS culture, including helping local and business level coaching support
- To develop an EHS audit schedule and complete internal audits
- To write and implement an EHS Aspects and Impact register and to complete evaluations of compliance
- Communicate the EHS agenda across Inmarsat and raise awareness and buy-in
- To analyse the measurement of EHS management and maturity across Inmarsat and advise on progress and next steps
- Participate in HSE communications and consultations with Employee Representatives
- Liaise with other groups and external parties where necessary such as Regulators, Contractors and clients
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
The successful candidate will have demonstrated previous experience in an EHS role with a focus on environmental, health and safety management in a diversified organisation. They must have good working knowledge and experience in implementing and maintaining EHS management systems that are certified to the relevant ISO standards.
- Safety – NEBOSH certificate or equivalent and member of IOSH (or working towards)
- Environmental - Certificate in Environmental management and member of IEMA
- Auditing – Lead of Internal Auditor to ISO standards
Culture Change – demonstrable experience of implementing culture change is essential
Event Delivery – competent in introducing small & large audiences to complex ideas
Conflict Resolution – work with colleagues and teams to resolve conflict and challenge
Influencing Colleagues – Ability to work alongside others to influence them to consider culture changes as part of their wider agenda
Facilitation – competent to facilitate small groups and use a variety of interactive tools and techniques.
Challenge and Feedback – skilled in delivering powerful and non-judgement challenge and feedback
Systems Thinking – ability to identify the business systems and processes that need to support a change
Analysis and Review – ability to independently review trends using analysis tools such as interviews and data
Group Coaching – confidence to coach and be able to undertake present group presentations and sessions
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge and experience of using Power Bi and Visio
- First Aid and Mental Health First Aider trained
- SEATs training (Site Environmental Awareness Training)
- DSE Assessor
- Training Delivery
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
· Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
· Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
· Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do