Environmental Sustainability Advisor
Environmental Sustainability Advisor (London)
Location - Laing O'Rourke's Flagship London based projects.
To provide environmental support across several projects/locations in London and the South East serving teams with the following key objectives:
- To ensure that projects deliver the planned environmental requirements.
- To promote the Laing O'Rourke environmental sustainability vision and culture on the projects.
What will the role look like?
- Support implementation and review of the environmental and energy management plan across specified locations.
- Assist with location related day to day environmental issues, including monitoring and reporting around aspects such as carbon, waste, water, noise, dust, ecology etc.
- Support Projects in dealing with environmental correspondence, applications and consents, local authorities, public bodies and subcontractors
- Champion the implementation of the business environmental sustainability strategy and support project teams with development of their project commitments
- Collate, input and report on environmental kpi data and other environmental monitoring records and compliance documentation
- Promote the reduction of energy use and carbon emissions and effective waste minimisation in delivery processes and procedures.
- Engage with and support staff,workforce and supply chain on environmental management issues and delivery of environmental sustainability objectives
- Undertake inspections of the projects on a regular basis
- Help ensure locations comply with environmental legislation and minimise risk of potential breaches leading to prosecution.
- Help implement new environmental initiatives (carbon footprint measurement and reduction, waste management, green procurement)
What skills & experience are we looking for?
- Excellent organisational and interpersonal skills at all levels within the business and to third parties, including public bodies, contractors and other companies
- Monitor compliance, ensures projects are implementing best practice and identifies corrective action where required
- BREEAM / WELL / LEED exposure or experience
- Has the aptitude to identify risks or deficiencies, ability to rate and rank risk to enable effective evaluation and communication for action
- Able to support by giving advice on environmental matters/ legislation
- Experience of conducting environmental inspections and/or audits
- Relevant environmental degree
- Internal Environmental Auditor Qualification
- IEMA Practitioner or equivalent (e.g. IEEM)
Don't match all the criteria? We are open and always happy to hear from people with transferable skill sets and a commitment to learning.
We are an international engineering and construction company delivering state-of-the-art infrastructure and buildings projects for clients in the UK, Middle East and Australia.
Certainty, reliability, quality - this is what our clients want. And at Laing O'Rourke, we have more than 150 years of experience delivering it.
Laing O'Rourke's story is one of energy, passion, ambition, people and teamwork. We harness the power of our experience, stretching back over a century and a half to deliver certainty for our clients.
Diversity & Sustainability:
We value and care about difference at Laing O'Rourke and believe a diverse team drives innovation.
We are a global multicultural business committed to the inclusion of all employees, enabling everyone to feel accepted, respected & valued for being themselves.
We have set out far-reaching global sustainability targets including a commitment to achieve equal numbers of men and women amongst our global staff by 2033. For more information, please visit: https://www.laingorourke.com/company/sustainability/diversity/
We want to ensure our recruitment process is accessible to all. If you need the application form in an alternative format or you would like to know more about our recruitment process, please email