Construction Planning Manager (Highways England Secondment)
Reporting into the Head of Construction Planning you will be accountable for supporting the alliance wide planning strategy, including the introduction of 4D planning and embedding modern planning techniques. You’ll proactively help to drive excellence in Project and Programme Planning through the development, delivery and maintenance of a governance framework for Planning and Schedule management together with Planning and Scheduling management tools and systems and the enhancement of in-house capability; to enable the timely, safe, efficient and customer focused delivery of the Programme.
A high level of collaboration, including the development of strong working relationships will be essential to gaining a strong understanding of business needs. This is an exciting opportunity to work with stakeholders across the Alliance at all levels including client representatives, Alliance Board and Leadership Team, Programme Management Office (PMO), Production and Programme Delivery teams, including Construction Planning, Partner Leads and Supply Chain. By doing so you’ll ensure that the requirements for high quality Planning management tools and systems are fully understood and addressed at both Project and Programme level and identify key areas for improvement, to share best practices and to resolve complex issues.
By ensuring that the requirements for high quality Planning management tools and systems are fully understood and addressed at both Project and Programme levels, key areas for improvement are identified, best practices are shared you’ll play a key role in helping to resolve complex issues.
We inspire each other every day to be ever more innovative and successful in delivery. We’re always looking to raise the bar and deliver with excellence. This is a unique opportunity to join a ground-breaking team that will lead in developing new ways of delivering motorway construction projects across the strategic road network.
• Act as the subject matter expert for planning related trouble shooting including disputes, Extensions of Time etc
• Support the Alliance Planning Team, ensuring compliance with agreed processes and systems aswell as be responsible for training and development of staff
• Develop relationships with internal/external stakeholders, clients and JV partners, to build and enhance our planning capabilities
• Work with Scheme Planners to drive consistency and improvement in planning skills and delivery.
• Deputise for Head of Construction Planning as required for reporting and meeting attendance
• Support the establishment of common Alliance procedures, systems and protocols, and ensure compliance with all applicable policies, procedures, and global standards
• Enable a programmatic approach to the delivery of the works enabling efficiencies to be achieved which would not be possible when applying a scheme by scheme approach
• Assist with the delivery of the 11 Business Realisation Initiatives, including 4D, 5D, P80, P90, AI planning
• Adhere to, and support Motorways Alliance Health, Safety, Wellbeing & Environmental and Sustainability Policies
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
• Expert user of P6
• Experienced in leading a team of planning professionals
• Proven track record of tender, project delivery and programme management
• Understanding of Design Processes and Experience of developing Integrated Schedules
• Extensive use and collection of production outputs and resource loaded programmes
• Understanding of BIM / exposure to 4D planning
• Understanding of Major infrastructure projects, including NEC contracts
• Used to working with portfolios of work in excess of £100m
• Experienced in delivering EVM
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
The SMP Alliance consists of Highways England and 7 partners including;
• Fluor (production management) #SMPAcareers
• Jacobs and WSP (digital enabled design) and
• Balfour Beatty, Costain and BAM Nuttall/Morgan Sindall joint venture (onsite Assembly Partners) Our goal is to unite diverse teams, unleash fresh thinking and transform delivery. We believe that collaboration is key to creating one team.
Collectively, the Alliance will design and construct the smart motorways programme over a 10-year period covering the Government’s Road Investment Strategy 2 and 3. The Alliance is transforming the way we deliver schemes by
applying a programmatic approach, utilising digital rehearsals and embedding methods of construction such as off-site manufacture. There will be a greater emphasis on digital technology, increased efficiency, and standardisation. The Alliance will drive value throughout the project lifecycle and promote a better way of working by integrating a diverse supplier network to form a wider enterprise to improve safety, create a better customer experience and deliver greater efficiency.
Inclusion and Diversity is our future. Be part of it
Our collaborative culture is underpinned by our agreed behaviours - decision making, accountability, communication and engagement, innovation and improvement, constructive challenge and trust and respect.
Inclusion and diversity are core attributes to our identity. Employees feel engaged, connected, valued and respected for who they are. For us, this means creating a culture of belonging where we all thrive by embracing all perspectives. We positively encourage applications from qualified candidates from all diverse groups. We are committed to not only enhancing diversity of skills but also to addressing gender imbalance. This diversity is key to bringing different insights, creating challenge, and encouraging innovation and transformation within the construction sector.
Building better, together #SMPAcareers