Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Technology Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Technology Office (CTO) business unit sits at the core of our business and focuses on innovative technology development and engineering. The CTO maintains a centre of excellence for technology and broader infrastructure-related innovation, translating market needs into core expansion programmes to enable market development. We ensure that Inmarsat’s products and services are constantly pushing the boundaries of satellite communications. The CTO team is responsible for delivering Inmarsat development programmes, including satellites and launchers, ground infrastructure (ground stations, networks, user terminals and access technology), regulatory, market access and product and service development.
Primary role purpose:
The CTO Platform Architecture Team owns the end-to-end architecture and technology strategy for Inmarsat's software platforms, products and services.
The team also works closely with subject matter experts in other teams to ensure that Inmarsat solutions fit the overall architecture strategy.
The primary purpose of this role is to define the architecture of Inmarsat’s platforms and software products to meet customer demands. You will also work on infrastructure projects to lay the foundations for innovative technologies. You will be able to demonstrate strategic thinking and contribute towards Inmarsat’s technology roadmap.
You will work closely with teams from across the organisation including commercial, product management, operations and engineering teams. You will be the technical authority for your projects and describe the solution to technical and non-technical stakeholders. You will have excellent communication skills and be able to convey complex subjects in clear language, tailoring your delivery for the audience.
The successful candidate will be required to demonstrate a thorough grasp of systems thinking and the ability to understand, interpret and adopt new technical information rapidly. They are expected to have a holistic view and understanding on operational complexity, security, and systems management. They must have a demonstrable interest in new technologies and product innovation, and a practical understanding of the technology development lifecycle.
It is expected of the successful candidate that they can work closely with software engineering teams to help decompose high-level architecture into work packages. They should be comfortable validating low-level designs against requirements.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work across a diverse set of technology domains, such as mobile Edge devices, software defined networks, hybrid cloud, next generation safety services, as well as OTT services and applications.
A background in software, cloud computing, telecoms, large-scale digital services or similar is highly desirable.
- Technology leadership for the software architecture of Inmarsat’s products
- Contributing to the architecture roadmap for Inmarsat’s products and infrastructure
- Capturing requirements and translating them into high-level architecture
- Working with engineering to ensure high-level architecture is translated into an appropriate low-level design
- Ensuring solutions are cost-effective, secure, reusable and strike the right balance between commercial pressure and technical excellence
- Identifying new and emerging industry trends that should be evaluated and incorporated into the company’s strategy
- Building and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders across the company
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelor or Master’s degree (or equivalent) in relevant field
- Proven ability to think strategically about product and technology challenges
- Hands-on experience leading the design, development and deployment of end-to-end software at scale
- Hands-on experience of network, technology infrastructure and virtualisation
- Excellent communication skills to represent Inmarsat to third parties and drive internal discussions with senior stakeholders regarding best practices, trade-offs and risk mitigation
- Creative problem-solving and analytical skills
- Proven experience with software development life cycle (SDLC) and agile/iterative methodologies
- Certification in one of more cloud environments
- Software engineering experience in an object-oriented language
- Knowledge and first-hand experience of networking protocols and routing
- Experience of containerisation and orchestration (such as Docker, Kubernetes)
- Familiarity with Linux and hypervisors
- API design and best practice; API management platforms
- Enterprise architecture and modelling
- Experience of 3GPP standards such as 3G/4G/5G
- Cybersecurity and secure-by-design methodology
- Experience of working in a relevant communications, network infrastructure or related computing field
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do