Senior Engineer, Transport Network Service Engineering
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Operations Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Operations Office (COO) plays a vital role managing the services that keep our business running and delivering to our customers. COO consists of 9 functions including: Satellite Operations, Network Operations, Service Assurance, Service Delivery Aviation and Customer Assurance, Service Delivery and Supply Chain, Project Management Office, Global Cyber Security and Group IT
Primary role purpose:
Inmarsat Transport Network Service Engineering manages most of Inmarsat’s data communications network, which provides connectivity to various sites and systems as part of Operational networks (GX, GX5, TT&C, BGAN, and Existing and Evolved system). These networks are critical to Inmarsat’s revenue generation and have to be treated as such to provide secure, resilient and timely movement of data. The networks are being expanded as new Inmarsat ground stations are opened, new systems implemented, new requirements formulated, and to meet current industry standards and best practises.
Most of the equipment consists of Juniper and Cisco Routers, Cisco ASA, FTD, Palo Alto Firewalls, Panaroma, Juniper and Cisco L2/L3 switches, Qradar, Algosec, Cisco ISE, SB Radius, Rancid, Stablenet, IPERF, Solarwinds, and linux servers for network monitoring.
The Senior Engineer will complement the current team to support configuration, troubleshooting, secure and expand the networks as required in the Operational networks and be responsible for interfacing and securing connectivity to the national SAS gateways, monitoring activities of the Data Communications Network (DCN) and other network duties.
- Provide third level support for Transport Network (TN) activities and participate in producing and reviewing design, test and operational documents
- Provide TN expertise in the enhancement of operational systems at Inmarsat.
- Within the team take responsibility for the design and operations of the monitoring tools deployed
- Ensure all network devices that are under the group are pro-actively monitored
- As part of the team support in the daily monitoring of DCN and investigation of any issues to a conclusion
- Provide support on DCN related issues to the real time Operations in the NOC and NCC, SAS sites, DPs and third parties
- Be part of the team that provides on-call support for the DCN
- Network / System Troubleshooting as required
- Other general duties as required
- The post will require some travel to Inmarsat’s remote offices, and work outside the normal working hours to complete activity in the system maintenance windows
Essential knowledge, skills and experience:
- University degree level education or equivalent in Computer Science / Data Communications.
- Holds a minimum cisco certification of Juniper JNCS/JNCP/JNCIE or CISCO CCSP/CCNP/CCIE or Palo Alto PCCSA or equivalent practical experience and expertise above this level obtained in a network security related role.
- Experience of working in a network environment configuring, monitoring and troubleshooting routers, switches, firewalls, servers and monitoring devices.
- Proven experience in designing, implementing and monitoring Secure Networks
- Have intimate knowledge of Palo Alto, Panaroma, Cisco ASA and FTD Firewalls with exposure to context and dynamic routing protocols.
- Proven experience in routing technologies - OSPF, BGP, MPLS, VPN technologies, QOS and VRF’s (min. CCNP level skills)
- Proven expert in configuring network switches, with experience of VLANs, RSTP, etc.
- Experienced in configuring network monitoring tools like Stablenet, Solarwinds, IPERF, PerfSonar, Cisco IP SLA, , Algosec, Qradar would be advantageous, although training will be provided to the right candidate with other related skills that might enhance the post and/or the group
- Generally proficient in Windows and Linux / Solaris computer systems to systems administrator level with scripting knowledge
- Knowledge of ancillary network tools like cisco ISE, Radius, DNS and other monitoring / troubleshooting tools like Wireshark would be advantageous
- Knowledge of Ticketing systems (ServiceNow advantageous)
- Fluent with Microsoft Office components especially Visio
- Willingness to learn new skills and be self-motivated
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do