Lead Engineer - Data
***A great opportunity has arisen for a Lead Engineer - Data to our Data Transfer and Management Services Lab based in our office in Wythenshawe, Manchester, M22 5QZ. Base Salary £70, 080 - 87, 600 plus excellent benefits package.
Our team works a hybrid working pattern, and we'll meet in office 2 - 3 days per week post-Covid (depending on the week). We're happy to offer flexible work schedules, for example start and finish times, or compressed hours! ***
We're the Data Transfer and Management Services Lab building and managing the future centralised digital nervous system, using the power of our existing batch technologies centred on IBM's Infosphere DataStage stack, alongside our emerging cloud strategy and streaming analytics capability to get closer to our customers. All of this is underpinned by the excellent Data Management delivered through the latest industry tooling and strong governance practises. This will be the backbone of our Event data processing hub.
About our team
Our goal is, within the confines of strong governance, to democratise Lloyds Bank's dataset. We're currently supporting 1'000's of processes across the Bank, acting as the Enterprise Data Integration and Management function within the Bank for Retail, Risk, Fraud, Customer insight, Commercial and Corporate. We're on an exciting journey and the next phase of our transformation is moving more into streaming of data and cloud technologies underpinned again through Data Management tools and techniques to meet data needs and our team will be right at the heart of that transformation.
What we'd like to see from you:
Our team is looking for a hardworking and adaptable Lead Engineer, a technical leader with data engineering expertise, with a growth mind-set and a dedication to technical leadership, developing strategy and driving the direction of an engineering team.
About the role
In this technical leader role, you'll blend both deep domain and technical expertise working across several component and feature teams. You'll be innovating in the epicentre of the digital revolution in our Enterprise Data team as we begin our journey to the cloud and enabling earlier value release for our customers.
Here's where you'll make a difference:
- Driving down the total cost of ownership of our products and driving agile adoption as part of the broader engineering community
- Setting the direction and vision for the team, for all software engineers in your area.
- Collaborating and forging relationships with teams both in the UK and India.
Experience in following areas:
- Proven technical leadership, setting direction, vision, and strategy for team
- Technical know-how of ETL Tooling and Streaming and how they fit with cloud technologies experience, and delivering data engineering solutions
- Mainframe understanding and experience, specifically with scheduling capability
- Knowledge of containers at scale: such as, AKS/GKE, Docker, Kubernetes, Helm, Istio
- Knowledge of microservices/service mesh, cloud native solutions from cloud providers, ideally Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and Azure
- Understanding of job frameworks such as Kafka Streams, Spark, Apache Storm or similar
You're someone that has a technical background on DevOps tooling on capabilities such as GitHub, Jenkins and UrbanCode. Additionally, database technology experience such as Teradata, Oracle, Hadoop, DB2 and familiarity with NoSQL databases such as Cassandra and HBase. Additionally, you'll have real passion for coaching and mentoring of less experienced software engineers.
We'd also welcome someone with the following desirable experience:
- Show capability to change, evolve and to learn new tools and techniques and help and encourage others to do likewise
- Shows accomplished experience in, supplier/partner management, analysis and design of solutions, proto-typing, build, test and implementation
- Someone that is championing cultural changes including adoption of agile e.g. JIRA, Confluence, and practices e.g. SAFe, LeSS, Huge LeSS
- Experience in metadata harvesting, knowledge of metadata solutions
- Knowledge of data management practices and tooling in Collibra, Information Governance Catalogue (IBM IGC), Atacamma and Ab>Initio Metadata Hub
What you'll get in return:
As a multi-brand, multi-channel business, we have the scale and breadth to provide you with a diverse range of training and development opportunities, helping you achieve an exciting and fulfilling career. Join us and be part of an inclusive, values-based culture passionate about making a difference.
You'll also receive a package that includes a competitive base salary, discretionary variable; cash sum of 4% which you can exchange for a variety of benefits (or simply take the cash), private medical insurance; pension where we'll give up to a max of 15%; access to share plans and 30 days holiday plus bank holidays.
Together we make it possible.
We're happy to consider options other than 9-to-5 office-based work. To us "Agile working" is more than working flexibly - it's about entrusting colleagues to think creatively about how, when and where they work, to deliver their very best. We're open to providing flexible working though our hybrid working patterns. Join us and be part of an inclusive, values-led culture that celebrates diversity, equal opportunity and provides opportunities for flexible working.
We'll ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process and to perform key job functions.
About Lloyds Banking Group
As the UK's largest retail and commercial bank, we have a footprint that touches nearly every community and household in the UK. That gives us a big responsibility to support the UK economy and have a clear strategy to put customers first and achieve our vision of being the best bank for our customers.
Are you interested in joining our team? Apply today!