Senior Manager, Cyber Security Programme & Portfolio
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Chief Operations Office
Inmarsat’s Chief Operations Office (COO) plays a vital role managing the services that keep our business running and delivering to our customers. COO consists of 9 functions including: Satellite Operations, Network Operations, Service Assurance, Service Delivery Aviation and Customer Assurance, Service Delivery and Supply Chain, Project Management Office, Global Cyber Security and Group IT
Primary role purpose:
The mission of Inmarsat’s GS&C is to provide resilience across the Inmarsat operational and IT infrastructure to ensure continued operations under adverse conditions.
Inmarsat’s GS&C maintains a portfolio of information security projects and leads an implementation programme that is aligned to the Chief Operation Office’s (COO) strategic objectives and the wider organisation business priorities.
Reporting to the Senior Director, Security Strategy, Governance and Risk Management, the Senior Manager, Cyber Security Programme & Portfolio will be responsible for leading the lifecycle of the entire portfolio, from project initiation to closure, coaching and supervising individual project managers as required. Working in close alignment with Security Architecture & Engineering and Security Operations, COO Programme Management Office (PMO) and Finance assuring that projects are delivered within schedule and budget.
The role requires advanced analytical skills and confident and assured presentation skills; and frequent interactions with senior colleagues to add value to their decision making process.
The job holder will develop and implement project management best practices and standards within the team and share best practices and deliver improvements in partnership with COO PMO and other areas; and will define and implement appropriate metrics so that relevant KPIs can be produced to track and measure performances.
The Portfolio Management process will be closely aligned to the Information Security Risk Management process; and will support ISO 27001 and NIST Cyber Security Framework maturity.
The Senior Manager, Cyber Security Programme & Portfolio will be accountable for the success of the short-term (annual) programme; and for the 5-year plan that will be aligned to rolling Long range Business Plan (LRBP) revisited annually.
A key responsibility of the job is to contribute to the definition of OPEX and CAPEX budgets that support the agreed portfolio; and to work closely with Finance to make sure that expenditure profile stay within budget forecast.
The job holder will make independent decisions which will help Inmarsat to prioritise projects based on the MoSCoW method (Must Have, Should Have, Could Have, Won't Have this time).
You will be the go to person for Portfolio Management Reporting and Governance within the team and also to stakeholders outside the team.
You will drive and bring stakeholders at all levels together to successfully implement change and deliver benefits aligned to Inmarsat’s long term Business Goals and strategic Blue Chips.
You will report to Executives and Management on the progress of the projects portfolio and financial performances. Maintaining high professional standards, with exceptional organisational skills, the job holder will be the go-to person to prioritise projects based on their information security risks and drive organisational efficiency. He/she will be able to understand complex cyber security challenges and to articulate them clearly to people at all levels across the organisation.
- Managing the lifecycle of the Cyber Security Project Portfolio on behalf of the Global Security and Cyber Team:
o Implementing high standards of Governance and Reporting for Portfolio Management within GS&C;
o Delivering Process improvements;
o Developing and implementing governance and reporting controls;
o Developing and implementing improvement frameworks for GS&C;
o Developing metrics, KPIs and automating reporting capabilities
- Leading and inspiring innovative opportunities to continually improve the Cyber Security Programme and Portfolio implementation process:
o Aligning projects in the portfolio with the risks identified in the Information Security Risk Register;
o Developing and implementing best practices and standards
- Managing GS&C budget:
o Supporting the short-term (annual) and long-term (LRBP) input process;
o Determine which activities will be prioritised using the MoSCoW method;
o Implementing financial tracking and reporting
- Prepare, maintain and present Business Briefs and Business Cases
o Ability to interact with senior stakeholders and secure support and approval for new activities to enter the project portfolio
- Building strong relationships within the organisation to support and enhance a high performing collaborative approach to achieving departmental goals;
- Confidently and quickly undertaking special projects as required
- Prioritising and delegating work as appropriate
- Providing high quality advice and well considered recommendations backed up by accurate and perceptive analysis
- Engaging with the external security community to maintain understanding of threat environment and protective technology
- Contributing to internal communication materials for the wider organisation
- Engaging with stakeholders external to implement and drive positive change, supporting Inmarsat’s High Performance Culture and Blue Chips
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrable knowledge and previous work experience of Information Security Programme and Portfolio Management
- Demonstrable knowledge of financial budgeting and accounting
- Demonstrable knowledge and previous work experience of ISO 27000 family of standards.
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Comfortable and confident in leading change
- Highly organised and able to manage multiple priorities
- Resilient and confident under pressure
- Comfortable communicating at all levels of the organisation
- Capable of making effective and informed decisions independently
- Able to see the big picture
- Demonstrable record of delivering at pace
- Solid leadership and decision making skills
Desirable Knowledge and skills:
- Formal education or qualifications in Information Security preferred, e.g. MSc Information Security; CISM, CISSP Working knowledge of NIST SP.800-53
- Working knowledge of NIST Framework for Improving Critical Infrastructure Cybersecurity
- Experience in Risk Management / ISO 27005
- Understanding of Crisis Management and Business Continuity
- Knowledge of CERT Resilience Management Model
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
- Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
- Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
- Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do