Solutions Architect - Strategic Programmes
Inmarsat has been at the forefront of global mobile satellite communications for over forty years, and is the market leading provider of voice and high-speed data communications for users on land, at sea and in the air through its constellation of 14 geostationary satellites. Inmarsat is a privately owned company with a profitable track record and significant growth aspirations. This is represented by more than 55 nationalities in the workforce, reflecting the global and dynamic nature of the business. With an investment of over $3 billion in its latest network infrastructure, Inmarsat is at the forefront of global mobile communications innovation.
Inmarsat’s Government business unit delivers against the requirements for voice, data and video services with demand for global availability and utmost reliability. Whether a military commander on operations, a government official responding to a local emergency or a head of state conducting international affairs, Inmarsat provides them with essential access to voice and broadband data, where and when they need it.
Primary role purpose:
The Solutions Architect (SA) is a professional engineering role within the G2 Strategic Programmes team providing software solutions concepts, architectures and designs to support G2 digital transformation strategy. These activities support G2 engineering consultancy opportunities, programme deliveries as well as commercial proposals for the Strategic Programmes arm of G2.
The SA is a self-sufficient and motivated engineering professional with extensive defence, networking and digital solutions design experience who is expected to maintain system architecture and oversee all requirements and dependencies of tasks allocated to them.
This is a full time role based in London.
- Analyse and keep aware of latest technologies to determine ways to improve current company product & systems.
- Work closely with technical experts within the company to get the relevant inputs.
- Develop technical documentation including solution architecture and system design documents for the support of strategic bids or programme delivery.
- Produce detailed specifications for proposed solutions.
- Lead / chair technical meetings and design reviews with internal and external technical representatives.
- Lead COTS software & technology product assessment & selection process.
- Support the Programme Manager to define risk, time, resources and scope of work for solution / technical work packages
- Work closely with the programme management team to successfully monitor progress of initiatives.
- Control solution development to ensure compliance with solution architecture and system design requirements
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Must hold a relevant degree in computer science or software engineering degree or equivalent
- Leadership & excellent communications skills are essential
- Experience developing IT and cloud infrastructure and using cloud services (AWS or others )
- Experience working in IaaS, SaaS and PaaS environment
- Positive outlook in meeting challenges
- Advanced understanding of business analysis techniques and processes
- Must be proficient in the development of technical documentation, architecture document, system specifications, test plans
- Must have experience working in software development projects
- Must be proficient in Model Based Systems Engineering, using tool such as Enterprise Architect and modelling language such as Archimate, SysML or uML…
- Must have experience in service oriented architecture, API first integration and micro service architecture
- Must have a suitable background to qualify and maintain UK Defence security clearance
- Must be competent with use of Microsoft office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) as well as Microsoft Visio.
Desirable Knowledge and Skills:
- Project & product management skills
- Experience in the satellite communication and / or defence industry
- Experience in the Defence or military sector, security and secure system design
- Current understanding of best practices regarding system security measures
- TOGAF certification
You must be eligible to work in this location advertised.
Our values define Inmarsat’s culture and represent what we believe in. Inmarsat employees aspire to certain behaviours which support our corporate values, they create a stronger working environment and lie at the heart of our continued success as an organisation.
· Accountability – taking ownership, getting results and keeping our promises
· Respect – collaborating, embracing diversity and valuing differences
· Excellence – creating bold solutions for our customers and putting quality at the heart of everything we do