Would you like to provide broad based engineering support to the most exciting programme in the Submarine Industry? We currently have vacancies for Systems Engineers at our site in Broad Oak but with working options across our sites in the UK.
As a System Engineer, you will be support project based engineering activities, using skills and experience to assist in the development of system engineering based products. You will apply knowledge and experience to support the design and optimisation of goods, services and engineering activities, as directed by Senior Engineer. You will also work independently, but with some supervision, to resolve engineering issues and problems for products and engineering situations in your area of expertise.
This role will provide you with a unique opportunity to have access to our amazing Dreadnaught Programme. You will gain exposure to the latest technologies and you will have the opportunity to be a key component in the biggest project in the UK. You will receive excellent initial training and will have opportunities to develop your skills further in an encouraging and innovative environment.
Your main responsibilities as a Systems Engineer will involve:
- Applying system engineering thinking to complex system challenges.
- Assisting Principal and Senior Engineers in providing stakeholder requirements elicitation, analysis and management to ensure Engineering & Digital Services products are development to satisfy stakeholder needs.
- Performing optimisation activities for solutions and their architectures, exploiting appropriate system engineering tools and techniques.
- Understanding and applying strategies around system development across a typical lifecycle, from requirement elicitation through to qualification, including integration, verification and validation activities.
- Identifying system emergent properties, supporting trade-offs, optimisation, risk management and verification activities.
- Coordinating and contributing to system acceptance, including verification and validation, with a focus of achieving system certification and acceptance.
- Liaising with multiple internal and external stakeholders to ensure effective and efficient engagement in support of system realisation.
- Continually develop their own system engineering capabilities, knowledge and skills aligned to industry best practices.
Your skills and qualifications:
- Has an understanding of model based system engineering and digital enabling technologies.
- Can identify and recommend appropriate tools and techniques in a service or product design environment for complex military platforms and systems.
- Is a clear 'systems thinker' capable of applying holistic thinking to all problems and can explain systems thinking.
- Has a good and developing grasp of technical process design and cross business integration.
- Can independently produce relevant system engineering artefacts (e.g. requirement specifications, engineering management plans) with occasional guidance from Principal or Senior engineers
- Has a strong awareness of product safety and SHE.
- A developing awareness of industry and MoD design/safety management tools and processes.
- Has an engineering based formal education to at least Honours Degree level, preferably working towards Master's level.
- Working towards Chartered status with an institute aligned with the UK Engineering Council.
What we're looking for in you:
You will have a high-level of commitment, drive and self-motivation. You will be effective at communicating concisely and accurately, both written and verbally to a range of internal and external stakeholders. You will easily and effectively integrate into a diverse team consisting of engineering and non-engineering staff. You will be able to positively challenge and accept being positively challenged.
Location: Portsmouth Broad Oak (Main site) but with flexibility of sites across the UK
Benefits: Our employees receive an excellent benefits package which includes a competitive pension scheme, enhanced annual leave allowance and a Company contributed Share Incentive Plan. We also offer a range of additional benefits such as flexible working, an employee assistance programme, Cycle2work and many local and national employee discounts. Some employees may also be eligible for an annual incentive.
Flexible Working: At Maritime Services, we embrace flexible and modern working arrangements and feel this is an important part of the benefits that we have on offer. It helps us to create a diverse and inclusive workplace. This role can be undertaken either full time, part time, job share, flexible hours or we would welcome your suggestions for how we could make this role fit your circumstances.
Join us and help to define the future of global maritime defence capabilities. With approximately 3,500 employees based at five UK locations and revenue of £600million, we pride ourselves on employing the best professionals around and offer significant opportunities for committed employees to learn and grow with us. Our people are encouraged to be as creative as they can be and are always looking at ways to develop and challenge the way we do things, identifying and prioritising continuous improvement activities across the business.
From our headquarters in Portsmouth, we are proud to support the Royal Navy in global operations. BAE Systems Maritime Services delivers end-to-end support to over 50 per cent of the Royal Navy's surface fleet. Our services include ship upgrades, repairs, dockyard facilities management and provision of combat systems training. We also develop and support the Royal Navy's complex equipment, such as radar, torpedoes and small boats.
With our international programmes and core support to the Ministry of Defence, you could find yourself working on the iconic Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers, Type 45 Destroyers, Type 23 Frigates, Type 26 Global Combat Ships, Hunt Class Mine Countermeasure Vessels, Offshore Patrol Vessels, historic ships and more. Our highly skilled teams design, develop, support and maintain a wide range of complex equipment. This includes Spearfish, one of the most powerful and capable wire guided torpedoes on the market. Currently undergoing a major upgrade programme, Spearfish will soon benefit from further sophisticated advances in its homing, warheads, tactical and fuelling systems, as well an upgraded guidance link. Then there's Artisan, the 3D radar that can identify a target the size of a tennis ball, travelling at a speed of more than 2000 miles an hour more than 25 kilometres away!
Join us and the projects you'll be involved in will form the backbone of the Royal Navy for decades to come. You'll be part of something important; something you can be proud of.
At BAE we want to be the leading employer in defence and security for valuing diversity and inclusion. We care about difference in all forms and want to create an inclusive environment where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential.
We welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly from sections of the community who are currently under-represented within our industry, including women, people from ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and LGBTQ+ individuals. We also want to be a preferred home for veterans and reservists.
For more information on our Diversity & Inclusion work, please click here.
Please be aware that many roles working for BAE Systems will be subject to both security and export control restrictions. These restrictions mean that factors including your nationality, any previous nationalities you have held, and/or your place of birth may limit those roles that you can perform for the organisation.