HR Project Lead
About the job
We welcome applications from all communities and we don’t discriminate against any identity. We’re interested to hear from you, regardless of your background.
Do you have a background as a proficient HR professional with knowledge of HR systems and the skills to lead a project?
Are you a confident communicator, with excellent stakeholder management skills and the ability to influence and challenge at all levels?
Would you like to make a difference as part of a pioneering team shaping the future of how the MCA and wider Department for Transport operates?
If so, we'd love to hear from you!
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) implements the government's maritime safety policy in the United Kingdom and works to prevent the loss of life and occurrence of pollution on the coast and at sea.
Safer lives, Safer ships, Cleaner seas.
Our vision is to be the best maritime safety organisation in the world.
Find out more about what it's like working at the Department for Transport.
It’s an exciting time to be part of the MCA with this unique opportunity to play a crucial role in delivering a positive change to the way MCA work and the way in which the HR Systems are designed and utilised.
Internally this role will be known as Future of Shared Services HR Project Lead and, under the direction of the HR Senior Leadership Team (SLT), will co-ordinate the HR system and service requirements for Shared Services ensuring that MCA business and operational needs are met and robust governance controls are in place.
You will collaborate with key internal and external stakeholders and suppliers to ensure the MCA's HR system is delivered to the required standard and that acceptable service and key performance standards are established. You will lead the project team to successfully complete system design, testing phases and process mapping as well as representing the MCA at both internal and external forums.
This role will be based in Southampton HQ. There will be a business requirement for post holder to be based in the office for a set number of days per week. At present we are operating a hybrid working approach due to the ongoing Covid-19 situation. Details of this arrangement will be discussed further with your line manager.
Travel, including overnight stays may be required
This post is offered on a Fixed Term Appointment (FTA) basis to complete a finite piece of work.
Permanent Civil Servants will not be expected to change their employment status from permanent to fixed term appointment. OGD applicants will be appointed on inward loan and subject to the terms of the agreed inward loan agreement.
Internal applicants will be appointed on inward loan and subject to the terms of the agreed inward loan agreement. The expectation is that you will return to your previous post at the end of the loan period, which will need to be agreed with your line manager in advance.
If you're employed by a non-departmental public body (NDPB) by moving jobs this will involve a change of employer and you may break the statutory rules on continuity of employment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Being the project lead on the successful implementation of HR Information System(s) in the MCA (including, for example, SAP, Dimensions, Concur, etc), within the DFT programme. Monitoring progress, resolving resourcing and other conflicts to ensure the implementation meets its deadlines within scope and budget. Reporting any risks and concerns in project delivery to the HR Senior Leadership Team.
• Being the lead HR Subject Matter Expert for the Future of Shared Services Programme (FoSS) including but not limited to areas such as Payroll, Volunteer management, training and expenses, Time and Absence Management, Management Information and Business Intelligence.
• Representing MCA HR at Internal and External Programme Meetings, including but not limited to the development of the Target Operating Model and HR Process Map design/approval, liaising with other SMEs, as required.
• Leading the design and development of the FOSS Data Migration, Testing and Delivery Plans, working with the MCA FoSS Programme Team, supporting project planning and progress reporting.
• Becoming a recognised expert in the future systems that will be utilised by MCA within the Shared Services arena, and support others in developing such expertise in the systems to facilitate effective transition from programme to business as usual.
For an in-depth insight into the role, please refer to the Role Profile attached to this advert.
This role requires an individual with a solid background in HR and experience of change management, who is looking for a unique opportunity to work on a high profile project to design and deliver intuitive and interesting HR systems.
You will have existing experience of HR systems and have knowledge of SAP and Unit4 Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), previously known as Agresso.
You are someone with exceptional stakeholder management skills and a strong communicator with the confidence to challenge at all levels where necessary. You are able to build up strong relationships and work collaboratively to achieve successful outcomes.
You will be a passionate leader with the ability to motivate and influence others to meet strict deadlines whilst balancing multiple priorities.
Membership of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development or equivalent HR experience
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Changing and Improving
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing
- Delivering at Pace
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.