Staff Officer Technical Services
Aberdeen, Belfast, Beverley, Dover, Falmouth, Fareham, Holyhead, Lerwick, Milford Haven, Stornoway
About the job
We welcome applications from all communities and we don’t discriminate against any identity. We’re interested to hear from you, regardless of your background.
Do you have experience of working within HM Coastguard or an organisation that takes care of maritime operations?
Are you familiar with the ICT systems used by HM Coastguard and would love the opportunity to improve the way these systems are used to safeguard lives?
Would you like to join our hardworking and supportive team, who are truly passionate about what we do?
If so, we'd love to hear from you!
The Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) implements the government's maritime safety policy in the United Kingdom and works to prevent the loss of life and occurrence of pollution on the coast and at sea.
Safer lives, Safer ships, Cleaner seas.
Our vision is to be the best maritime safety organisation in the world.
Find out more about what it's like working at the Department for Transport.
It’s an exciting time to be part of the MCA with this unique opportunity to join us and play a crucial role in delivering a positive change to the way HM Coastguard operate.
HM Coastguard is the operational arm of the Maritime and Coastguard Agency with responsibility for six key missions - Search and Rescue, Pollution Response, Vessel Traffic Management, Maritime Safety, Maritime Security and Emergency and Disaster management
Reporting to and supported by the Head of Technical Infrastructure, the Staff Officer Technical Services is responsible for the delivery and quality of designated Coastguard technical systems used to deliver the six key Coastguard missions.
The successful applicant will join our close knit and supportive team to contribute to improving safety at sea. We will look to you to provide technical and professional recommendations, guidance and advice on the most effective use of the Coastguard technical systems to senior management and other stakeholders and lead on the development of user requirements for future coastguard systems. You will monitor and implement coherent and consistent national procedures, processes, strategies and policies through expert contribution and ensure HM Coastguard's adherence to and compliance with agreed national and international operational legislation, regulations, procedures, processes, rules and guidelines.
This is a fantastic opportunity to enjoy teamwork along with the freedom to work autonomously and focus on technology for HM Coastguard service, playing a pivotal role in saving lives.
This role can be based at any of the MRCC station locations listed. MCA supports flexible working and operates a hybrid working model between home and office for this role, giving you greater flexibility over where and when you work. Details of the arrangement will be discussed further with your line manager.
This role requires occasional domestic and international travel to attend meetings and working groups which will involve some time away from home and the regular workplace. A passport valid for international travel is required as well as a full driving licence valid for driving in the UK.
This post is offered on a Fixed Term Appointment (FTA) basis of 13 months to cover maternity leave.
Permanent Civil Servants will not be expected to change their employment status from permanent to fixed term appointment. Other Government Department (OGD) applicants will be appointed on inward loan and subject to the terms of the agreed inward loan agreement.
Internal applicants will be appointed on inward loan and subject to the terms of the agreed inward loan agreement. The expectation is that you will return to your previous post at the end of the loan period, which will need to be agreed with your line manager in advance.
If you're employed by a non-departmental public body (NDPB) by moving jobs this will involve a change of employer and you may break the statutory rules on continuity of employment.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Supervising and monitoring the operational use of current and future Coastguard technical systems in order to ensure high quality delivery.
• Applying specialist knowledge and providing expert advice in support of the execution of the Coastguard missions and assist MCA Technical Services and other MCA branches as and when.
• Acting as senior user and business change manager during implementation of Coastguard technical systems functional system projects, chair and lead systems working groups to develop user requirements and develop, manage and implement user acceptance testing for these systems.
• Pro-actively scanning emerging technologies to provide detailed advice and guidance to users and recommendations to managers regarding technological changes.
• Developing, adopting and amending operational procedures and processes in consultation with stakeholders, operational managers and technical staff to prioritise and manage maintenance of systems, solve problems and enhance the provision of the six key Coastguard missions.
• Liaising with internal stakeholders and provide advice and technical input to develop relevant national policies and procedures as well as the development of future Coastguard technical systems and provide briefings on operational technology and processes for senior managers as required.
• Assisting with managing and monitoring the performance of operational systems against SLAs - leading on effective rectification measures if/when required. Monitoring trends and issues and identifying with ICT priorities to be reviewed.
For an in-depth insight into the role, please refer to the Role Profile attached to this advert.
We are looking to be joined by an enthusiastic and motivated individual who has experience in HM Coastguard or an organisation dealing with maritime operations along with an understanding of the ICT systems in use by HM Coastguard or systems that support GMDSS.
You enjoy working collaboratively with a team, driving forward regular improvements, with a real ambition for creating a continuous improvement culture. Along with being a strong team player, you also welcome the opportunity to work autonomously.
Tech savvy you are always on the lookout for emerging technologies and enjoy analysing and presenting your findings to your stakeholders, whilst selling the benefit and positive aspects.
You are comfortable in sharing complex information to others in simple terms, effectively tailoring your communication style and the way in which you engage with others, to ensure your message is understood by all.
Your personable approach to your work allows you to quickly build positive rapport and trusting relationships. These relationships allow you to have your voice heard and to positively influence decisions at senior levels.
You will thrive managing a varied workload and your fantastic organisational skills mean you are able to balance and prioritise tasks to achieve successful outcomes.
Appointment to this role is subject to meeting Health Standards, please see attached document.
About Operational Delivery Profession (ODP)
Operational Delivery Profession (ODP) is the largest and most diverse professional community across the Civil Service. Many of us will have an association with several professional communities or specialisms, ODP applies to all public facing roles / or a role that is primarily aligned to supporting the work of those with public facing roles. All critical to the delivery of UK public services.
A passport valid for international travel is required as well as a full driving licence valid for driving in the UK.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
- Seeing the Big Picture
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Coastguard Framework - Operational Communications: 5.03 - Applies knowledge of the terrestrial and mobile telephone networks when dealing with and making incident calls.
- Coastguard Framework - Operational Communications: 5.05 - Applies a knowledge of the Coastguard communications network and callsigns.
Being part of our brilliant Civil Service means you will have access to a wide range of fantastic benefits. We offer generous annual leave, attractive pension options, flexible working, inclusive working environments and much more to support a healthy work/life balance.