Would you like to work for one of the most successful and secure companies within the UK Infrastructure industry with a vision to be a market leader across all of the sectors in which we operate?
Morgan Sindall provides national infrastructure services to private and public sector customers across a comprehensive range of markets. While we are best known as engineering experts, working in sectors as diverse as nuclear, rail, water, energy, highways, and aviation, our UK wide business provides a wealth of different support function roles within human resources, commercial, IT, innovation, design, work winning / business development, safety, health, environment and quality (SHEQ), communications, procurement, and finance.
With talented people as the key to our success we operate a culture whereby personal and professional development are at the forefront of our efforts to attract and retain the best people in the industry. We are a community of diverse individuals with shared goals and a strong, supportive, and inclusive culture. Collectively, our people play an invaluable role in shaping the UK’s infrastructure and contributing to our long-term sustainable growth.
We are looking for people to join our team who not only have relevant qualifications and skills, but who understand and value our culture of pride and connection.
Reporting into the Head of Development, you will be responsible for leading the Alliance’s Biodiversity Net Gain (BNG) strategy. Working closely with key internal and external stakeholders (including Wildlife trusts, local authorities, environmental groups, Head of Early-stage delivery, Heads of Design, Heads of Production, Head of Carbon) you will understand stakeholder needs, develop strong relationships and lead by example. As the development team matures, you’ll develop and define new ways of working, in particular improving/transforming processes, people and practice so that our projects leave a positive habitat legacy and achieve biodiversity net gain.
The role will build on the mission and vision of the SMP Alliance, and importantly, equip the Alliance to deliver its strategic goals and become a leader in biodiversity, environmental and social enhancements.
Inspired? We inspire each other every day to be ever more innovative and successful in delivery. Our focus on innovation and improvement means that we are always looking to raise the bar and deliver with excellence. Join our ground-breaking team and help us to develop new ways of delivering motorway construction projects across the strategic road network.
- Leadership and accountability for the Alliance Biodiversity Net Gain Strategy, implementation plan and policies
- Provide leadership, guidance, direction, and support to project teams on a programmatic basis
- Provide advice, support and carry out any additional duties or actions for the Head of Development
- Develop strategic relationships with stakeholders and potential partners to ensure biodiversity outcomes are achieved.
- Lead the Alliance’s approach to delivering Biodiversity Net Gain not just for the Alliance but also for National Highways Portfolios, including RIP, CIP, SMP and OD.
- Work with the Alliance Leadership Team, project/programme teams to ensure biodiversity net gain outcomes
- Develop ways of working throughout projects life cycle to embed BNG policies and enhance the outcomes of projects.
- Define and appoint the team/s and roles required to deliver BNG
- Provide advice, guidance, and independence with regards to the assessment of and appointment of sub-contractors.
- Set the standards and lead by example in the delivery of BNG through promoting best practice, capturing best practice and implementing feedback loops from projects and programmes into strategy and policy within the Alliance and partner organisations.
- Previous experience of working on Smart Motorways is not required
- Experience in creating and leading biodiversity strategies and delivering biodiversity improvements
- A passion for Biodiversity and an ability to create a step change in the habitat legacy our projects leave
- Interest in building your knowledge and researching biodiversity issues and best practice
- Relationship management skills, proven experience in building rapport, gaining credibility as a leader in biodiversity and as part of a team, building trust, working in partnership
- Ability to influence stakeholders
- Ability to thrive in fast paced environments
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills, able to influence and engage with people, experienced in presenting ideas and views, able to constructively challenge, probe and offer an alternative perspective to discussions.
There’s no such thing as a perfect candidate so don’t hold back. Our customers come from all different backgrounds, and so do our employees. The SMP Alliance offers the opportunity for a fulfilling and long-term career with endless opportunities for professional and career development. Our industry leading Academy will support learning needs at all levels, providing skills and opportunities for technical excellence.
if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it - then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
The SMP Alliance consists of Highways England and 7 partners including;
- Fluor (Production Management) #SMPAcareers
- Jacobs and WSP (Digital Enabled Design) and
- Balfour Beatty, Costain and BAM Nuttall/Morgan Sindall joint venture (Onsite Assembly Partners)
Our goal is to unite diverse teams, unleash fresh thinking and transform delivery. Collectively, we will design and construct the smart motorways programme over a 10-year period covering the Government’s Road Investment Strategy 2 and 3.
What makes us different? The SMP Alliance is transforming the way we deliver schemes by applying a programmatic approach, utilising digital rehearsals and embedding methods of construction such as off-site manufacture. There will be a greater emphasis on digital technology, increased efficiency, and standardisation. By driving value throughout the project lifecycle and promoting a better way of working by integrating a diverse supplier network to form a wider enterprise we will improve safety, create a better customer experience and deliver greater efficiency.
Inclusion and Diversity is Our Future. Be Part of it
Our employees feel engaged, connected, valued and respected for who they are. For us, this means creating a culture of belonging where we all thrive by embracing all perspectives.
We positively encourage applications from qualified candidates from all diverse groups. Diversity is key to bringing different insights, creating challenge, and encouraging innovation and transformation within the construction sector.