The Web Development & Support Engineer is responsible for delivering high quality web-based business applications following development best practice and security standards as well as providing 2nd and 3rd level support for those same applications. This includes two customer facing Microsoft.NET-based web portals and CMS integrated internet site.
The engineer will be required to work closely with our suppliers and partners delivering and supporting solutions to meet the business needs.
My Priorities- What I will Deliver
- Work with stakeholders, business users and product owners to ensure business requirements are defined and agreed
- Deliver development and enhancement activities in support of business raised change requests, working closely with other IT Teams, Partners and Suppliers
- Participate in scrum events and take an active part in continuously improving the ways of working of the team
- Ensure development meets quality standards and aim to provide an excellent user experience
- Minimise applications technical debt and guarantee that non-functional requirements are considered and addressed as part of development activities
- Complete peer code reviews when required
- Provide advice and guidance to FSCS users in support of their application requirements
- Provide 2nd and 3rd line support for applications, categorising, prioritising, triaging and progressing service requests, incidents, problems and changes which are logged with IT, in-line with industry best practices (i.e. ITIL)
- Coordinate and direct suppliers where 3rd party suppliers are required to deliver the end-to-end support capability, ensuring end-users are regularly updated on progress against their service request /incident /problem /change request.
- Undertake any other IT related duties as required in line with the business needs
- Actively promote and embody FSCS values
- Suggest technical and process improvements and discuss their applicability with the development team lead
My Knowledge- What I need to Know
Essential Technical Skills
• Microsoft .NET 4.7 or higher using C#
• ASP .NET and MVC
• EPiServer Content Management System
• SOAP web services and REST APIs
• JSON, XML, XPath and XSLT
• Microsoft SQL Server 2012 or higher
• Visual Studio 2020 or higher
• Version control and branching methodologies using GIT
• OWASP Top 10 security framework
• Agile and SCRUM
• Azure DevOps or similar tool
• Azure cloud platform
Desirable Technical Skills
• ITIL experience and qualifications
• Fortify or similar SAST tool
• SASS, Webpack
• Entity Framework
• Azure Web Apps
• Azure Functions
• Azure Application Insights
• Azure API Management
• Powershell or Azure CLI
• Work effectively following the SCRUM methodology. Working closely with Product Owner and alongside the development team.
• Ability to work on your own initiative whilst at the same time adhering to IT policies and procedures
• Excellent customer facing skills, with a professional and helpful manner
• Willingness to record, capture and document all tasks and projects without exception through the appropriate IT process/procedure
• Provide reports on progress, risk & issues in a controlled and specific manner to the Development Lead
• Good organisation skills with a logical, analytical approach to solving IT problems and the ability to prioritise work to meet demands and deadlines of both IT support and IT development
• Experience developing and implementing web-based and cross-platform solutions
• Full software development lifecycle experience using agile approaches.
• Understand how resources are accessed and managed in Microsoft Azure and comfortable in working with Azure Virtual Machines
• Experience of unit testing and structured testing.
• Experience working in continuous delivery within the agile mindset.
• Defect Management prioritization and resolution using a ticket management tool.
For the past 21 years, FSCS has been getting customers of failed authorised financial services firms back on track.
Our strength is in our numbers. Since 2001, we have helped 6.5m customers and paid back £26bn in compensation. Over the years we have continually strived to be better, faster, and more empathetic to our customers’ needs in an ever more complex financial world. Our people have worked together to make sure we can offer protection and reassurance every step of the way, even during the toughest of times over the last two years. FSCS is an organisation that makes a difference, and in which our people truly make a difference.
We have grown from modest beginnings in 2001 to helping customers during historic events such as the 2008 banking crisis and supporting vulnerable customers during the pandemic. As a result of this success, FSCS has become increasingly respected, insightful, and influential in the regulatory eco-system. It is an exciting time in our journey as we now have an opportunity to play a bigger role in breaking the cycle of rising consumer harm and costs; by being part of a system that is about prevention rather than cure.