We believe in better. And we make it happen.
Better content. Better products. And better careers.
Working in Tech, Product or Data at Sky is about building the next and the new. From broadband to broadcast, streaming to mobile, SkyQ to Sky Glass, we never stand still. We optimise and innovate.
We turn big ideas into the products, content and services millions of people love.
And we do it all right here at Sky. What you'll do
Successful candidate will have a background in software development with deep proficiency in an object orientated language. We primarily utilize python but expect you to be able to read and understand other languages at a functional level. The ideal Software Developer will have Python Microservices stack experience and the ability to understand communication flows within a distributed system. You are not afraid to dive in and understand the full end to end system that delivers our solutions.
What you'll bring:
- Understand the big picture and develop Python applications as detailed in the design and ensure they run efficiently with proven unit testing and exceptional handling.
- Participate in design review, validate user stories and assess the feasibility on conceptual ideas against the practicality of implementing them. Build Data Models and interact with Databases.
- Use Docker, GIT, Quality gates, linting and other tools to develop, test and deploy code quickly and efficiently.
- Work closely with local and offshore colleagues, share and document standard methodologies. Perform code peer review and provide constructive criticism (optimisations or alignment to best practices). Ensure code quality standards are maintained high and code gets merged with less or fewer comments.
- Guide and propose solutions to implement standard methodologies so that a scalable product is produced
- Work in scrum team and follow agile methodology to deliver features in sprints and support quality assurance teams by feature handover and bug fixes.
Team overviewGroup Communications & Infrastructure
- CCNA/CCNP level of networking experience.
- Python 3 utilising OOP design with database integration (MySQL, Mongo) direct and/or via ORM
- Good understanding of CRUD operations using Netconf, CLI and SNMP and data modelling with help of YANG
- Proven experience with caching & scheduling (eg redis & celery) and ability to work with concurrency, multithreading / multitasking and IPC
- Experience with python xml library's including DOM navigation and Json data structures including JSONpath, XML and YAML.
- Good understanding of templating tools like JINJA.
- Good communication skills. A solid ability to explain your logic and challenge the logic of others.
- Experience with OpenAPI and able to implement 'self-documenting' REST API's
- Experience in automated unit and integration testing.
- Experience in working in an agile environment such as Scrum including agile ticketing systems such as Jira
Looking to be part of non-stop innovation? Join our Group Communications and Infrastructure team and you'll work alongside experts in broadband, telephony, mobile, cloud and infrastructure. We're the team that designs, builds, supports and maintains the telecoms networks across the whole Sky Group. Together, we help Sky broadband, mobile and TV enter new markets by creating a single and secure infrastructure for the amazing content and services that keep our customers coming back for more. The rewards
There's one thing people can't stop talking about when it comes to #LifeAtSky: the perks. Here's a taster:
Inclusion & how you'll work
- Sky Q, for the TV you love all in one place!
- The magic of Sky Glass at an exclusive rate
- A generous pension package
- Private healthcare
- Discounted mobile and broadband
- A wide range of Sky VIP rewards and experiences
We are a Disability Confident Employer, and welcome and encourage applications from all candidates. We will look to ensure a fair and consistent experience for all and will make reasonable adjustments to support you where appropriate. Please flag any adjustments you need to your recruiter as early as you can.
We've embraced hybrid working and split our time between unique office spaces and the convenience of working from home. You'll find out more about what hybrid working looks like for your role later on in the recruitment process. Your office space Brick Lane
Brick Lane is in the heart of the East End of London. It's part of a vibrant and diverse community; close to street food, cafes and shops. The closest tube station is Aldgate East and Liverpool Street is about a 10 minute walk.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation. We'd love to hear from you
Inventive, forward-thinking minds come together to work in Tech, Product and Data at Sky. It's a place where you can explore what if, how far, and what next.
But better doesn't stop at what we do, it's how we do it, too. We embrace each other's differences. We support our community and contribute to a sustainable future for our business and the planet.
If you believe in better, we'll back you all the way.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, we'll ask you to complete a criminal record check. And depending on the role you have applied for and the nature of any convictions you may have, we might have to withdraw the offer.