I am sorry to read about the situation you are facing returning to work and the changes to...read more
Around a third of both men and women want full transparency over pay, according to a new survey which shows differences in how men and women approach pay rises.
The survey by Money Guru found around 32% of the 1,500 men and women polled want full transparency, with everyone in a workplace knowing everyone else’s income. 28% want this information kept quiet, and 32% are fans of pay scales being public, but specifics kept quiet.
Some 69% of men believe it is easier to ask a male boss for a pay rise than a female boss. In contrast, 60% of women find it easier to ask a female boss than a male one.
Moreover, 40% of men believe asking for a pay rise makes them look ambitious, compared to 25% of women. An average of 26% of both genders think it’s assertive, but 35% of women are worried it makes them look pushy compared to 19% of men. Around 15% of both sexes feel it makes them look too materialistic.
40% of people surveyed believe flirtatious tactics or personal assertiveness the key to a pay rise, with a quarter of men putting a raise down to a personal relationship with their boss. However, 60% of people still believe the main reason why people receive a pay rise is down to performance. The survey found a third of men find it acceptable to flirt with their boss in order to improve their chances of a pay rise, and 40% admit to having done so. This compares to a mere 12% of women finding flirtation acceptable, with 20% confessing to having employed such a tactic.